Chapter 30: Unperceived Events

Leora's POV:

I walk into the familiar PD. I look around, reminiscing for a second, 'Seems like things have gotten busy... At least me blowing up that building is water under the bridge now, especially since the public is unaware of this...'

I look at the door of the interrogation room, sighing. I look at Dick, "Grayson, what do you know about her?"

Dick nods, "She's a bartender at Wale's, close to Crime Alley. Her name is Mary Wale. She used to be a factory worker for 5 years when she was 20 but soon quit and was missing for a few years. She got married, after coming back, to an accountant, Nicole Wale, and had a daughter before getting a divorce and custody of her daughter. She then opened a bar and is currently the bartender and manager."

I think, "Wale's huh?.. Didn't we used to grab a drink there whenever we had to go to Crime Alley?" I point out, looking at Dick.

He nods, "Yeah. Wale's isn't a well known bar but those who do, know it's worth"

"Know it's worth...." I mutter under my breath, "Is it a jump to assume that it's a hub for criminal communication?"

He chuckles, "Yes but you're not wrong. Some have even seen Black Mask have meetings with assassins there"

I sigh, "Great..." I take a deep breath before walking inside. As I close the door, I take small and gentle steps to the chair.

"You're a quiet one... I would have thought you were like the other boy in suit" Mary says, her voice sounds coy, like she's used to this.

"Boy in a suit?" I look confused as I take the seat in front of this blonde lady. Her body was relaxed, something I immediately didn't like. If a person was stressed, at least I could exploit it. But right now? It seemed like I would have a harder time to exploit anything from her...

She chuckles, "Something Bratty"

I sigh, "William Bardly... I wasn't aware you already met with someone"

She hums softly, leaning back in a relaxed manner, like she owned the place, "The boy is... quite the character, I'll say. He seems to talk a lot about you"

I sigh in frustration. Bardly was someone I knew was bad news. My rival in court and now this? I thought I could exploit the fact that she knew nothing about me but now I can't. I need to get creative.

"He's... like that. Then I guess we can skip the introductions" I say in a calm voice, trying not to give away too much of myself.

Mary nods, "I like your style, girl"

I sigh, "What is your relation to the court of owls?" I ask immediately, not bothering to build up anything.

She hums, "Nothing"

"Nothing?" I ask with a raised eyebrow. What is she trying to do? Stall?

She nods, "I know nothing of what you're talking about" Her voice was smooth, convincing if I was still naïve, I'll give her that.

"Then how do you explain this?" I pass her a photo. I must give credit to Tim. The kid's more brilliant than I initially thought.

Mary looks at the photo, her expression changing for a split second before she chuckles, "Me meeting a Talon? Darling, I run a business. I get clients as much as you do"

I frown, "I'm afraid that doesn't explain everything, Miss. Actively interacting with dangerous people when you already have a well running business? I wasn't aware you were willing to put your daughter in danger."

I clearly struck a nerve when I talked about her daughter. Let's see how much I can get under her skin...

"I don't think my daughter should be brought into this, dear. I'm still a grieving mother, after all" She says, her voice cracking for a second.

I hum, "Should I? I think I should make a point of how careless of a mother you were. Looks like your daughter got a lousy mother after all...." I say calmly, knowing what I was doing.

I could see Mary's knuckles turn white as she smiles, "Please, dear. Aren't you here to interrogate me?"

I nod, smiling back, "I'm aware. I was just making a point." I stack my paper properly.

I could already sense the tension in the room. If looks could kill, I would have been dead by now.

"Now, can you explain what deal you were indulging in during your meeting with Talon?" I look at her, trying to notice anything out of place.

I narrow my eyes a little when I notice her visibly relax. "Well, he was asking me about details about you. He seemed like a well mannered boy. Perhaps you could learn" She says coyly, her smirk hiding her intentions.

I hum, "I'm afraid you might need to request this to someone else. I'm not a boy"

Her smirk falters at my indifference. She clears her throats, "But I'm sure you could still learn about manners. After all, they're universal"

"Aren't we here to interrogate you, madam? I don't think bringing my manners is appropriate. I'm a young attorney after all" I say with a smile, repeating her words back to her.

She hums, "Ah, so you're as annoying as they say you are?"

I smile, "I wasn't aware you were talking about me to the Talon"

Her eyes widen a bit at the slip up as she clears her throat, "Why would I? I was talking about the boy in the suit. He said you were quit annoying"

I hum, "Really now? I suppose it's my mistake" I notice her relax when I say that.

So this really is about my assassination... what a joke.

I stand up, heading to the door.

Her eyes widen, "Why are you leaving? Aren't you interested in what we were talking about?" Her voice was frantic, as if trying to salvage this.

I hum, "I'm afraid you have no use for me now, Miss. I shall tell the Commissioner to let you go"

As I open the door, I freeze. I look down, noticing the sword as it pierced my heart. I notice many people move to me franticly, a few even getting inside to look for anyone inside.

My vision starts to get hazy as the white noise starts to capture me.

"ROBYN! STAY AWAKE!" I hear a faint voice but it was clouded by the white noise.

"Dick?..."

'I'm Back!.... again'