Chapter 33: History Rhymes

Jason's POV:

"Jason... what recording are you talking about?" Amara asks again, actually getting serious.

I sigh, looking around to notice everyone's eyes on me.

"Master Jason, I don't think hiding the information will be of use to any of you" Alfred says, standing by the couch.

A growl escapes my lips, "Fine!? You know why I'm worried about Leora? Are you really such a bad sister!?"

Amara looks offended as she looks ready to fight me, "Excuse me? At least I didn't just die off the face of the planet like you!"

Just as this was going to get into a fight, I feel a hand being placed on my shoulder.

I turn around, looking at Dick's worried face. I take a deep breath, Leora isn't just Amara's sister. She's more than that. She's a friend, an idol, and much more...

I take another breath, sighing, "When me and Leora went shopping, she revealed something that... that was probably the worst thing I've heard in my life"

Steph looks at me surprise, "Wow... that's not something you hear everyday"

Tim just gives her a look before looking at me, wanting me to continue.

I nod a bit before looking at everyone, "That day, she revealed that... she saw everything"

I notice Bruce's eyes narrow, "What do you mean?"

I look at Bruce, frowning, hating everything that was happening, "She told me that she managed to go to the warehouse where.... Where I died. She investigated the rubble and found a broken camera with a recording of everything"

Everyone's eyes widen, Amara's especially when she realized what I meant.

"Where is the recording?" She immediately asks, probably already knowing what happened.

"Leora destroyed it. But not before she memorized everything there was in it"

My words hung in air, no one wanting to believe this.

"Why.... Why didn't she tell me?" Amara mumbles under her breath, this being the second time that her sister broke her trust.

"She said she wanted to protect you" I reply, feeling just as bitter, "She said you were in a very fragile mental state and that having you watch it was practically asking for trouble"

"And she thinks she could handle it?" Dick says. Even tho Dick and Leora worked together for so long, even he had a hard time believing this could happen.

I stay silent, not wanting to say more.

Bruce turns around, walking to the Batcave, "We should focus on finding her whereabouts. Jason, Steph, Cass, and Damian. You four are going to patrol over Gotham and try to find her. Inform us if you find anything"

I follow her along with the rest of us, not wanting to sit around. Just as I opened my mouth, Bruce cuts me off, "Tim, Dick, Amara, and Barbara. You four are going to try and figure out where we can find them. Amara, feel free to use the resources from the Batcave"

"I think it'll be useless" Amara says. "Leora was the only one out of the two of us who was good at tracking people. I'm better on field"

Bruce turns to look at her, giving her the Batglare, "....Jason, you're keeping an eye on her"

I frown, not wanting to deal with Amara right now.

/////////////////////

Leora's POV:

"U-mmph" I try to stay silent, focusing on keeping quiet.

"What's wrong? A cat got your tongue!?" The maniacal laughter rings through the room.

I pant softly, silently glaring at the clown I had to now deal with.

This had been going on for the past hour. I could already feel the pain starting to rise to my head.

'I wish I bothered taking Master's offer on that training-' My thought was cut off by another hit.

Thankfully, it seemed that they wanted me alive. Not just the Court of Owls, but even the Joker. I could only assume they wanted a bait but it didn't mean the hits were gentle.

I look at the dirty crowbar in his hand, panting as I frown. The dried blood... I could tell this was the same one used on Jason. I remembered the recording clearly.

Every cackle....

"HAHAHAHAHHAHA-"

Every scream....

"ARGHHH-"

I remember everything....

'Now tell me what do you want...' / "Now tell me what do you want"

"A-" I get smacked, biting my tongue to keep myself from screaming.

'Or B...' / "Or B!" I get smacked again.

Even without looking at his face, I could tell the Joker was getting bored. I analyzed everything from that recording, every detail is burned into my memory.

I know he enjoyed every scream he made, every groan that escaped. Every wound... he sustained...

I was different. I am not gonna break now. I will not break-

SMACK

I will not break-

SMASH

I... don't want to break...