Chapter Eight: Fight or Flight

Visenya used a little of her inner fire to keep herself warm in the drizzling rain and looked at the other dwarves in sympathy.

"Here, Mr. Gandalf? Can’t you do something about this deluge?"

"It is raining, master dwarf. And it will continue to rain until the rain is done! If you wish to change the weather of the world, you should find yourself another wizard."

"Are there any?"

"What?"

"Other wizards?"

"There are five us. The greatest of our order is Saruman, The White. Then there are the two blue wizards. Do you know, I’ve quite forgotten their names."

"Alatar and Pallando"

Visenya said with a small smile, which was shared with Gandalf as she missed the two wizards who disappeared when they went east, Terrax whined next to her, also missing the wizards.

"And who is the fifth?"

"Well, that would be Radagast, The Brown."

"Is he a great wizard, or is he…more like you?"

Visenya had to stop the laugh that wanted to escape at that but also the annoyed look on Gandalfs face.

"I think he’s a very great wizard, in his own way. He’s a gentle soul who prefers the company of animals to others. He keeps a watchful eye over the vast forestlands to the East, and a good thing, too, for always evil will look to find a foothold in this world."

Bilbo was about to talk, but Visenya looked over to see Thorin stop by a ruined house.

"We’ll camp here for the night. Fíli, Kíli, look after the ponies. Make sure you stay with them."

Gandalf and Visenya inspect the ruined house, Visenya was concerned with the dark energy surrounding it but also the smell. She turned to Terrax, who also growled at the house and looked towards the woods.

"A farmer and his family used to live here."

"Oin, Gloin."

"Aye?"

"Get the fire going."

"Right, you are."

Visenya could see the concern on Gandalf face when he spoke to Thorin.

"I think it would be wiser to move on. We could make for the hidden valley."

"But I’ve told you already. I will not go near that place."

"Why not? The Elves could help us, we could get food, rest, advice."

"I do not need their advice."

"We have a map that we can not read. Lord Elrond could help us."

"Help? A dragon attacks Erebor. What help came from the Elves? Orcs plunder Moria, desecrate our sacred halls, the Elves looked on and did nothing! You ask me to seek out the very people who betrayed my grandfather, who betrayed my father.
The only exception to all this is Visenya."

"You are neither of them. I did not give you that map and key for you to hold on to the past."

"I did not know they were yours to keep."

Visenya could see the frustration on Gandalf face as he stormed off but was stopped momentarily by Bilbo.

"Everything alright? Gandalf, where are you going?"

"To seek the company of the only one around here who’s got any sense."

"And who’s that?"

"Myself, mister Baggins! I’ve had enough of dwarves for one day."

Visenya looked at the direct Gandalf and then looked at Thorin, who also looked fustrated, and when he faced Visenya, his face softened almost instantly, but he turned to the company but was still wary of her Direwolf

"Come on, Bombur, we’re hungry."

Thorin said this as he walked off, but Visenya listened in for a moment to other others.

"Is he coming back?"

The dwarfs look unsure at Bilbo. At night time, Bilbo is still worrying because Gandalf has yet to return. He’s been a long time.

"Who?"

"Gandalf."

"He’s a wizard! He does as he chooses. Here. Do us a favor. Take this to the lads."( Bofur hands Bilbo the soup but stops Bombur from taking more.) Stop it, you’ve had plenty."

Visenya, after eating left to find Gandalf, much to Thorin protest, but she was fast with her dorewolf on her heels and followed her gut to Gandalf, who was stewing while sitting on a rock by the stream.

"Dwarfs are stubborn."

She saw Gandalf jump a little, but only of you were looking would you noticed, but he turned and smiled at Visenya.

"That they are, my dear."

Visenya joined Gandalf, and they both sat there looking out at the forest with a
Small smile when Gandalf cleared his throat, then looked at Visenya.

"I see you have drawn Thorin's eye."

Visenya could hear the statement in the sentence that had Visenya chuckling but looked at Gandalf with a small smile.

"I suspect I am 'his One,' but he seems more focused on reclaiming his home than claiming me.
I understand it, but it doesn't make it less than disheartening."

"I suspect as much, but I am sure that young Elondas will not be pleased."

That made Visenya blush at that statement because since she became an adult, Elondas has expressed his interest in her but informing her that she was his soulmate.
She was thrilled, of course, because she had taken a lie him in that way when she was a hundred but knew she could not do anything for a few years as Monogamy is practised and adultery is unthinkable By their very nature, they are "seldom swayed by the desires of the body" or influenced by lust. They marry only once, for it was ruled by Manwë that, "'since the Elves are by nature permanent in life within Arda, so also is their unmarred marriage.
She informed him that her type of elf, which is also most likely transfered over that they take two spouses at the least and would let him decide if he wanted to stay with her.
He did not even bat an eye before saying that if he had to share me then he would accept it as long as he stayed by her side which she accepted but both wanted to wait a few more years before taking things further, she knew that might not be the case with Thorin.
She knew Elondas would tut and tsk about sharing her with a dwarf but would be alright in the end.

"He understands, might not like it but will be fine."

Gandalf scoffed but nodded, then looked and thry both felt a shift, gathering their things they went off to save a company of stubborn dwarves.