3: 1980s Horror Film

A demon practicing self-care is a bastard accepting weakness. Xun Jie knows not such a practice and hence does not doubt his strength.

MEMENTO MORI

Lunch was eaten in utter silence.

Wen Jingyi looked like he was on the verge of tears, with droplets threatening to spill with every small bite taken of his sandwich. Reality had hit him like a storm. He really did not need something like this to happen right after getting over the emotional hurdle of his death (which was, ahem, his fault).

Xun Jie set his sandwich back on his plate, refusing to take another bite before speaking.

"You don't look happy."

Wen Jingyi stared at his sandwich, not even willing to take his first bite.

"It's not that I'm unhappy that you survived, it's just..."

Wen Jingyi just did not know what to do from here.

"It's emotionally overwhelming. I was ready to move on with my life upon writing the finale, yet here you are in my apartment... Alive, real , and sharing lunch with me."

Xun Jie did not bother to interrupt Wen Jingyi on the matter in the following moment of silence. He could see his eyes getting pearly and decided only then to continue eating.

"The food is good."

Wen Jingyi only sighed.

"Wen Jingyi," Xun Jie called out. He was quiet upon doing so, as he did not need to be loud to be heard in the small apartment.

Wen Jingyi came into the living area from his bedroom. He seemed far out of it, leading one to think he may have been sleeping or doing nothing but being lazy, as his eyes were droopy, and his hair was a mess.

But the tear stains on his cheeks and red nose showed otherwise. It was these two traits that proved Wen Jingyi to have been crying, and the sniffling noises filling the room secured this assumption as true.

"Did you need something?"

"Where should I defecate?"

Wen Jingyi felt one more tear roll down his face as he led Xun Jie through the hallway and to the restroom.

Xun Jie stood at the entrance of the small room, investigating every corner and crevice he could from where he was standing. Seeing his confusion, Wen Jingyi walked in to point out all the crucial bits of the room.

But upon walking closer to the toilet, Xun Jie stared much more intensely in the direction of that ceramic device. Memories of last night had been dragged up, and Wen Jingyi did not know whether to laugh or cry.

"I do not usually...well, ever use parts of a toilet as a weapon. I'm sorry."

"I must apologize too. I appeared out of nowhere and caused a great fright."

He sure fucking did. Xun Jie even used his signature ability, Blood Lock, to render Wen Jingyi immobile. It was an acquired ability which allowed him to control the blood flow and bodily functions of any individual he made eye contact with. It was fun to write, but fucking terrifying after witnessing firsthand.

Wen Jingyi walked out of the restroom as Xun Jie walked in.

"Come back to the living area when you're done. I'm going to need to replace the patch on your forehead, then we can watch a movie if you're up for it."