9: Destination: Another House

Jiao Xiang Palace was originally constructed to be a symbol of pride, never intended to be anything of a haven. Xun Jie made sure that regular aspects of a house such as bedrooms, guestrooms, and a kitchen were included in its blueprints. Yet, no matter how much time he spent in each of those rooms, it never began to feel like something he could call home.

MEMENTO MORI

The five of them rested for a day and changed back to their original robes before heading through the portal created by Hai Ruan's hands. The four of them looked breathtaking in modern clothing, but in their original outfits, they were heavenly.

Especially Xun Jie. He had seen the outfit on numerous accounts of fanart and cosplay, but seeing the real thing in person was just immaculate. It had been a long while since he'd seen him in those robes, so long that he was beginning to forget about how those intricate details of the embroidery on his sleeves complimented his great features.

Not only did it look great, but it looked so comfy! Sure, Wen Jingyi was wearing a hoodie, currently looking and feeling very out of place when standing next to the others. He didn't care too much, for anything big, loose, and thick was presumed to be comfy in his book. He thought that if he was going to go jumping realities, then he might as well get comfy before doing so. Wen Jingyi was something of a utilitarian when it came to the way he dressed.

Then he was finally presented with the very thing that led Xun Jie into this realm of his. The portal looked like nothing but a bottomless hole in the earth with no traces of light or color within. Wen Jingyi was nearly beginning to have second thoughts upon looking down into the black nothingness.

Though the idea that he had to jump in was even worse, Xun Jie held his hand gently as they went through it together.

Only three of the five had landed on their feet. Shang Hou, Hai Ruan, and Xun Jie landed very gracefully, not even a sign of imbalance in their character.

On the other hand, Fu Qianqiu had fallen face-first into the dirt and Wen Jingyi had fallen into the arms of Xun Jie.

"My lord, it seems that we've spawned into the Luminescent Forest. It would be unwise of us to stay here."

Hai Ruan said this because it was an area crawling with demons. The Luminescent Forest was well known in the world of Memento Mori , as it was where most demons were able to cultivate their demonic energies and abilities without human disruption.

Humans never came to the Luminescent Forest because all the resources there were contaminated by demonic energies. It was because of those beasts that the fruits and creatures began to emit a luminescent glow to their bodies and their contents were made toxic, hence why people don't bother to harvest plants or hunt animals in the area.

This was also where Xun Jie had entered secluded cultivation. It was something that no one could forget, as it was where his ability Blood Lock had originated.

"Then let us head for Jiao Xiang Palace."

Both Wen Jingyi and Hai Ruan had paled upon hearing this.

"My lord, are you sure? It is unwise to invite the Crown Princess of Dong Nan to your lair. What of her mouthy apprentice?"

"It doesn't matter whether they go or not. It's the closest and most secure area for us now. If they wish to return to Dong Nan, then let them go on their three-day journey back home. It's only another three days wasted while Demon Lord Heng'e revitalizes all his strength."

Fu Qianqiu had already begun walking aimlessly in the forest, but Shang Hou had pulled him back towards Xun Jie by the monstrous bun on his head that was his thick brown hair.