Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The beautiful Georgia sun beamed orange and yellow rays of sunlight through my bedroom window. I stretched my arms over my head. Smiling from a good night sleep. The smell of coffee filled my naustrals with warm hazel nut cream and peperment, how did he remember mthe way i like my coffe? I got up out of bed and put on my bunny slippers and threw on a silky bathrobe walking into the living room where dad was sitting in his chair reading his newspaper.

He looked up at me just as i was walking in the corners of his lips twitched into a welcoming smile.

“Morning sport.”

“Morning dad.” I walked over and kissed him on his scruffy un-shaven cheek. I sat on the couch next to him, studying him. It had been so long since i had last had a chance to look at him. He was wearing a blue robe that went down to his calf's. It was plaid and on the right pocket it read "#1 DAD" I happily smiled contently to myself. He cleared his throat bringing me out of my thoughts.

“How’d ya sleep?” he hadnt lifted his eyes from his paper as he said this.

“Realld good.” I got up and walked into the kitchen and poured mysekf hot coffee into a big coffee mug. the steamfog ging up the air. I walked back into the living room and sat on the couch again slowly sipping my coffee.

"I didnt have any nightmares at all daddy." i smiled innocently. He lifted his gentle brown eyes from the paper in front of him and turned his head to look at me. "Thats great sport! I remember when I had to sleep on the floor in your room to help you get back to sleep after those nightmares."

I nodded, "yea I remember" there was a pause, but it was a comfortable pause. I loved the feeling of just being in a room with my dad. He always made me feel safe.

“So what’s the plan for the day?” I asked curiously.

“Well I thought you might like to go out and ride Pegasus?” I almost jumped off the couch with excitement almost spilling coffee all over the floor.

“I would love to! How is he anyway, man have I missed him.” My dad laughed when he saw me catching myself before jumping up.

“He’s real good, misses you too.”

I smiled as I imagined me riding Pegasus again. I practically gulp down my coffee and running into my room to get dressed.

~*~

I walked outside with dad next to me. The smell of horses excited me, brought back so much. Heading into the horse stables you could smell the manure. It was really strong, making my nose sting, I surely did not miss that. 

We walked to the last stall where a big white horse with a gray main leaned over the old wooden door.

“Hey boy, miss me?” I cooed as I stroked the front of his head. He leaned in closer to my hand and it looked like he batted his eyes long amazing eyelashes at me. Yep he missed me.

I hoped over the door and grabbed the brush. Slowly stroking the brush downward om his soft white coat; once he was brushed I put a blanked and then the saddle on him, buckling it in place.  I placed the reins over his head, then leading him out into the open trail in the back woods.

“You ok with going by your self?” Dad asked while walking up behind me with a shovel.

“I’m sure I’ll be fine.” I climbed on Pegasus, tapping my, heal against the under side of his belly. We started galloping down the dirt road as I waved behind me towards dad.

The wind blowing in my hair, the feel of the open trail, the whispering of the trees, and the bouncing from the horse made me feel like I was six again.

~*~

-Tom-

“So tom, have you heard from Emma?” Jeremy asked tossing a can of soda at me and plopping down on the plush couch next to me.

“Nah man, I’m just going to let her have some time with her dad, plus it gives me time to flirt a little while she’s gone.”

 “Oh yeah!” Jeremy lifted his hand as we high-fived. My cell buzzed as I whipped it out of my pocket and staring at it, texting back. Jeremy gave me a questioning look.

“It’s Sophie.”

“Who?”

“You know? That really hot chick in gym.”

“Dude she’s textingyou?” his eyes went wide, with pure jelousy in them

“Hell yea, gave me her number Friday when we ran into each other.”

“Man, you are so lucky! Do….. Do you think you could put in a good word for me? You know, just in case she has a friend?”

I laughed “Sure thing.” I started punching letters on my key pad while watching the game on TV. I took a big gulp of my Dr. Pepper just as Hawk Harrison the quarterback made an amazing touch down.

Jeremy and I both jumped up off the couch shouting and belly bumping. "WOOT WOOT!"

“You boys keep it down in there!” Jeremy’s mom yelled from the kitchen.

“Sorry Mrs. Folk!” I yelled back. We sat back on the couch intensly watching every move the players made, my cell buzzed again inside of my pocket. I took a look and my eyes widened I almost choked on my drink.

“Hey Jeremy, I’m sorry dude but our football night is going to have to be cut short. I gotta go.” I jumped up quick and ran out the door before Jeremy could stop me.

-Emma-

I jumped down from Pegasus and walked him back into the stable. Giving him new oats and water putting away the sadle and all.

“So how was it?” dad asked while coming in with a brush.

“It was amazing! So many memories came back and I felt like a little girl again.” I said cheerfully.

My dad’s eyes filled up with happiness as he brought me into a big hug. “Your still my little girl.”

“I know dad.” hhe smiled down at me andkissed me on the forehead before he let me go and handed me a brush.

Even though its only my first full day with dad, I still have so much time to catch up and build that father daughter bonding again. I am just so excited for the few weeks to come.