Chapter 27

A long time ago, long before the families united under the crown, there was a great family, the Pevwrells. They were wealthy beyond what you could imagine,owned vastands and properties and hosted the mkst wonderful galas and parties. They dined with kings and queens and ministers, princes and princesses. It was almost as if they were royalty themselves.

But their riches did not go by unnoticed because soon the other families of nobility had had enough of their careless arrogance. They refused to let the brothers remain as the landlords to their own properties and so began to rebel.

The oldest of the Peverells was a foolish man so confident in his wealth he believed no harm could come to him. His ignorance brought up on his own folly and he was slaughtered by his cousin.

The second born, how cowardly was he. He took his brother's wealth and his but he was afraid of death. So he passed it on to his youngest brother and fled, to where we do not know. We only know the only trace he left behind was the statement ring of his family which was passed to his brother.

The youngest brother, haven seen what had become of his once proud heritage made a deal with the crowns of Europe. He took all the wealth and power amassed by his family and placed them under documents. These documents placed the nobility under the control of the crown.

These documents were called The Deathly Hallows, as he who possessed them, possessed the Peverell's wealth.

frightened by the thought of submission and blinded by greed, the families began to search relentlessly. Planning coupes, committing treason and each were met with folly until the deathly hallows were destroyed in the scuffle.

Or so legend says....

Draco was staring open-mouthed at Remus unable to comprehend what he had just been told.

His entire life, he had been told the deathly hallows were a myth and old wives tale. It was pointless trying to search for them because they either didn't exist or were destroyed long before he was born.

"Impossible," he said aghast, "The deathly hallows were destroyed weren't they?"

Remus shook his head, "we thought so too." He folded his arms, "Ignotus Peverell was even more of a genius than we thought."

He took a deep breath and sighed.

"He never handed the deathly hallows to the royal family but rather he hid them on his person and eventually he passed them on to his granddaughter before he died. No one thought to attack him because the royal families are so vast and spread it would take decades to figure out no royal family ever had them in the first place."

Remus paused to catch his breath, his gaze was firmly planted somewhere Draco couldn't see.

"His granddaughter lolanthe married an ancestor of the Potters, Hardwin. So the deathly hallows have been passed down from Potter to Potter for generations. Even among the family, it was a well-kept secret. Only those worthy ones of it."

"James parents, were rather old when they had him and had given up all hope of ever passing the down. His father in fact had resolved to take the family secret to the grave, quite literally" Remus smiled wryly, "the only reason James found put about them is by reading through his parents' will when they passed."

Draco would sit down if there were any seats here. His hands shook, his mind beginning to put together the pieces before Remus could complete his tale.

"Harry... He is the next heir. He is next in line to come into possession of them." Draco whispered, "Riddle found out about the documents didn't he? That's why he killed Harry's parents."