𝐕𝐈

·˚ ༘

────────────────────────────────────────

August 10th 2018

CHARLES LECLERC

I arrived at Zahra's house and rung the doorbell.

Ring.

The door flung open, and standing there was a girl. She she was slightly taller than Zahra, her hair was dyed blonde at the roots and faded into a bright pink. She looked a few years older than Zahra, something was familiar about her. It was Zahra's sister, Yasmine. "Who're you looking for?" she asked, eyeing me up and down with a mix of examination and amusement. "Zahra," I replied. She shot me a look, part judgment, part smirk, before disappearing up the staircase with a call for Zahra. In a flash, Zahra dashed to the door, her laughter trailing behind her.

"Hey," she greeted me, but before I could respond, another figure emerged from behind her. "Who've we got here?" she inquired, a mischievous glint dancing in her eyes. A woman, older, maybe in her forties, stood there. Her bob cut framed her face, and she was draped in a flowing embroidered caftan, adorned with layers of golden necklaces and colorful gemstone pendants. Zahra's mother, unmistakably.

"This is Charles," Zahra introduced me awkwardly. She grabbed my hand and made our way out the front step. "Well, well, let's not rush off now," Zahra's mother interjected, halting Zahra with a gentle hand. "You two are staying for dinner. I need to catch up on what's happening in your lives." Her tone was firm yet warm. "You can call me Lorelei, Zahra's mom," she added with a smile, extending her hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm Charles," I replied, mirroring her smile.

"I'll get started on dinner," Lorelei announced before disappearing inside. "Mom!" Zahra protested, but Lorelei was already on her way. Zahra turned to me, her eyes apologizing for her mother. "Sorry about that. My mom's just... a bit you know," she explained sheepishly. "No worries. I didn't have any big plans for us anyway," I reassured her with a shrug.

As we stepped inside, the door closing behind us, a loud clatter echoed from the kitchen. "Oh fuck, excuse me for a sec. Gotta make sure Mom doesn't set the house on fire," Zahra chuckled nervously before darting off. Her laughter was infectious, and I couldn't help but smile. Meanwhile, Yasmine approached me. "You're Charles, right?" she confirmed, already leading the way to the living room, her eyes scanning me from head to toe.

As I trailed behind Yasmine into the living room, an odd sensation prickled at the back of my neck. The atmosphere hit me like something else. It wasn't like any home I'd ever stepped foot in before. The scent of sage and incense, though a bit comforting, felt overpowering, almost suffocating to me. All of the plants plants, while vibrant, seemed to take up the space, they looked overgrown and out to get me. I walked through an archway covered in purple beads. Crystals adorned every available surface, the walls painted a shade of dark green. It felt less like a home and more like a shrine.

Yasmine guided me to an aging, velvety couch, and as I settled in, it seemed to swallow me whole. Her sharp gaze swept over me, leaving me uncertain if she was sizing me up or planning to kill me. Shifting uncomfortably, I braced myself for whatever laid ahead. "How many run-ins with the law have you had?" she fired off, her tone a mix of accusation and curiosity. Startled, I raised my hands in protest. "None, I swear," I blurted out, feeling the weight of her judgement  bearing down on me.

Her questions came rapid-fire, probing into my past and my habits, each one more invasive than the last. I denied any involvement in illegal activities, the tension in the room thickening with each denial. Then, just as I thought it couldn't get any worse, she delivered the ultimate blow. "How many other girls are you talking to besides Zahra?" The accusation hung in the air, my heart pounding as I struggled to formulate a response. Before I could answer, Zahra burst into the room, her presence a nice distraction from the interrogation at hand.