Chapter 17 ~ one thing after another ~

Jensen finished loading up his car and took a last look around his house, it would probably be a while before he saw the place again. He felt foolish remembering how he had imagined he and Duane living there together and taking long strolls in the forest after dinner during the warm summer evenings.

He made sure that all the windows were secure not that there were any burglaries in their territory, if there were, their culprits scents were easy to track and they had their own ways of dealing with things like that.

Locking the front door he walked to his car and was just climbing in when he saw Chailai walking up the lane towards him.

"and where do you think you're going, I thought we had a deal?" she snapped.

"come on Chailai, you know deep down it was never going to work, Narong doesn't love you, he never will babe" Jensen replied.

"so what about you, are you just going to give up?"

"why not? why am I fighting so hard for this pack when none of them give a crap about me, they're too set in their ways in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they're not all toasting my departure in the pub tonight" Jensen said.

"if you're going , I just might come with you" she said making Jensen shudder at the thought.

"I prefer my own company babe, no offence" he replied.

"can I at least look you up if I come to the city? there's no reason for me to stick around for either"

"sure you can look me up, we'll do lunch or grab a coffee" Jensen replied not wanting to commit to anything more than that.

"then ... bon voyage"

"thanks babe, all the best" Jensen said before climbing into his car.

He took one last look at the house before starting his car up and moving off and saw Chailai waving in his rear view mirror and gave her a quick wave back.

It's not that Chailai a bad girl, she'd just fallen for the wrong guy and he hoped she found someone else soon.

He drove down the lane and past the pack house before passing Duane's parents pub and he saw Duane in the garden hanging bar towels on the washing line. He noticed him look up after hearing his car pass by and thought he saw him frowning.

When he indicated left to head towards the highway and exit the packs land he saw Duane watching him in his rear view mirror, his fingers tightened on the steering wheel and he knew that the image would stay with him for a very long time. 

Taking a deep breath he turned on his radio until the music was blasting out so loud that he couldn't think and then he drove.

It was quite early and Duane had been hanging out some bar towels for his mother when he'd heard a car passing by, he had looked up to see Jensen but he hadn't even turned his head.

Frowning, Duane wondered where he was going at this time of day, maybe he had some business appointment or something, maybe when he came back he could go and see him and apologise and maybe they could discuss trying again.

He knew he hadn't been very fair to Jensen in the short time they had been dating and he couldn't stop thinking about that darn kiss. He had laid awake for hours last night thinking about everything and he had to admit that Jensen had been nothing but straight with him from the beginning.

He had treated him so well and hadn't even kissed him until yesterday, his mind made up, he would take a walk over to his house later on and they would have a serious heart to heart.