𝟐.𝟏𝟏 - 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐝𝐨𝐰

╔══ஓ๑๑ஓ══╗
𝐯𝐨𝐥𝐮𝐦𝐞 𝟐 | 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝟏𝟏
╚══ஓ๑๑ஓ══╝

WARNING: PLS READ AT YOUR DISCRETION, THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS VIOLENCE AND SA

(Ruby's POV)

It was the first day back at school after Cotillion and the gallery, and the atmosphere around campus just felt right. Harry and I saw each other to our classes, though he's in remedial classes to try and cram as much as he missed in the short remaining school time we had left. But things felt like they were going to start being normal again.

"Are ya busy tonight after dinner?" Harry asked as we walked to the gymnasium to watch Lonnie's fencing match.

"No, I was just gonna package some of my canvases in the art room so they can be shipped to the buyers tomorrow, why?" I asked and glanced up at him while our hands gently swung back and forth between us as we walked.

"Can I join you?" he asked with an innocent side smile, holding the gym door open for me. I giggled at this and appreciated how much he wanted to make up for lost time and nodded.

"Of course, who else is gonna keep me company?" I said and patted his chest before looking around the room for a seat. I saw Jane sitting alone in the stands and gestured for Harry to follow as I made my way up to her row. I gave her a little wave and a toothy smile as I sat next to her, happy she returned the energy by pulling me into a short hug.

"Hey! Thank gods you're here, I don't like watching these things by myself." She said and leaned forward to look at Harry who had sat next to me. "Hi Harry!" she said kindly with a small wave.

"Hi Jane," he said back with a polite smile. I could see by the way his eyes slightly widened that he was surprised she acknowledged him, but I could also see how happy he was that she did. I took his hand and held it in my lap before looking back to Jane.

"So, how's post-cotillion clean up, slash, finally getting to relax?" I laughed and watched as the first opponents met on the floor to duel.

"Oh brother, about how you'd expect it, surprisingly more complaints than I thought. I mean, you'd think at the end of the day people would look on the bright side at two unstoppable forces threatening their lives in a single night like some wild once-in-a-lifetime event but noooo," she said sarcastically before she looked at me, the two of us bursting lightly into small giggles.

"Aw, I'm sorry though, that has to be a pain, I guess I should take part of the blame for that," I said and watched as the match began, my eyes lighting up as they clashed swords.

"Yeah- hey! I almost forgot, have you seen Parker today? I didn't see him leave at your unveiling yesterday?" I tilted my head at her words when Harry's hand in mine startled me a little. He had suddenly gone stiff and his grip felt more firm.

"I haven't no," I said with a frown. Jane and I seemed to share a worried look. It might not have been for the same reason, but we both knew something was definitely amiss. Aside from Harry's frigid state and Jane's strange sense, there was something inside me that was suddenly raising flags. It felt more intense than that pit you feel in your stomach, this felt instinctual, like something that was a part of me was ringing all the warning bells.