1: Black Out

Author's note: Hi everyone, this is my first ever Sonic fanfic I have ever written and published. I never really read Sonic fanfics but I've read and written a lot of other fandom fanfics so I think I got the idea down haha. But I really hope you enjoy this! It took me a full month to write and then a couple of other months to edit it and get it all perfect. I would like to deeply thank my editors (shoutout to Vampire boy and Sky) for making this possible as well. There's a lot of heart and soul (and trauma) in this story and hope you have a good time reading <3

"SONIC!"

The last thing the blue hedgehog heard was his best friend screaming his name in terror as he fell weak to the ground. No matter how hard he pushes himself off the ground, his arms give out in an instant. Tunnel vision ensues as he sees the city in shambles and the foot of a new foe hovering above his line of sight. That's where everything went dark.

The hero feels his head pounding hard within his skull as he starts to regain consciousness. Shivers start to work their way up his body when he realizes how cold he is. Eyelids were heavy to open and all he could see were fuzzy gray tones. The air smelt stiff with hard metal and copper. Sonic finally realized he was on the hard ground with his left cheek being smushed into the metal. He noticed he couldn't react as fast due to the banging in his head and his body aching with every movement. He tried moving his hand to help push himself off the floor, but quickly noticed both of his hands were cuffed together. Panic starts to fill the hedgehog as he tries to remember how he got into this situation.

"Looks like someone is up from his nap." A familiarly snarky voice catches Sonic's attention.

Sonic tilted his head down to see the maniacal doctor leaning against metal bars. Sonic quickly tried to gather his thoughts as he also immediately made a snarky remark.

"What's the matter? Rodent got your tongue?" The doctor laughed, "You're usually quite quick to make a comeback."

"I hope that's you behind bars, Eggman." Sonic spoke up, but not too loudly so he could avoid worsening that banging in his head.

"Au Contraire hedgehog. It is you that is behind bars." The man scoffed.

Sonic paid no mind to Eggman's monologuing. He grunted as he continued to shake off his headache. "I'll be on the other side of these bars faster than you can think." Sonic said, as he struggled to sit up from the ground.

Eggman took a sadistic pleasure in watching his prisoner shakily try to get up. "How's that tranquilizer shot doing for you?" He grinned as Sonic finally realizes why his body is acting this way. "Oh... and I also forgot to ask. How did you feel getting pummeled by those familiar villains?" Eggman gloated.

Sonic immediately recalled that moment in time. He remembered that he was protecting civilians from several close enemies of his. Zavok and Metal Sonic he would understand, but what about those other three? Chaos had returned to his normal state of peace within the Master Emerald, so it shouldn't even be possible that he would attack Sonic without just cause. Then there was Shadow, his arch rival. Sonic without a doubt knew that the Ultimate Lifeform would never turn against him and his friends. But what about that newcomer with the mask?

Tails' scream for his friend still echoes in Sonic's mind, standing out higher than everything else.

"Where's Tails?!" Sonic confronted, looking dead into the doctor's glasses for eyes. He continued to strain himself in an attempt to stand on his own two feet, but the tranquilizer's serum was still in his system making him weak.

"Ho ho. Slow down my spikey friend. No one touched your foxy friend." Eggman replied defensively, putting his hands up. "Your cowardly friend ran off with all the other civilians. Some hero he is."