11: Friend Found

The pack of soldiers trudged through the thick tree forest together, having their two powerful leaders at the front of the line. They've been walking in a straight line for over 15 minutes and still no sign as to where the pack of badniks would be at. Everyone wants to hurry and get this over with so they could rest on the truck heading back to HQ. Their technician soldier that has a badnik tracker in hand says they're getting closer, but the signal is spotty with all of the trees around blocking it.

That's when Knuckles stopped in his tracks, holding his hand up to stop the pack from moving any closer. He hears something whirling that's not coming from the group. He crouched down to the ground and everyone followed his lead, turning off their helmet lights so that they wouldn't be spotted too quickly. That's when the red echidna spots it, drone robots flying high, shining light in front of them on the ground so that the herd of other robots can know where they're heading to. Four drone robots, two giant Death Egg robots, and tons of white Eggpawn bots as well. This should be easy to manage, if everything goes to plan.

In the back of the Resistance group was Skip the Rabbit, a young rookie that pleaded to help fight with the older volunteers. He was stuck in the back because he was a bit drowsy and too slow to keep the pace of the pack in front of him. He hurried to regroup with everyone, but didn't see the lowly tree branch laying on the ground. Skip stepped on the branch as it made a cracking noise, alerting everyone, even the robots they were after. The drone robots stopped and turned to the noise their signals picked up on.

"ATTACK!" Knuckles roared out to the group as he got up and started running towards their enemy. Everyone shouted as well to get their blood pumping as they rushed forward into battle, splitting into their groups like planned. Soldiers aimed and fired their weapons at the multiple Eggpawns trying to stop them.

Knuckles and Amy raced past the two tall badniks, attempting to lure them away from the battlefield of smaller bots. A plan that succeeded when the two tall badniks broke off from the main group to give chase, shaking the ground with large thuds as they stomped away from the primary battlefield. Sonic's friends are higher on the priority list to get rid of since they're so strong and can turn Eggman's army into nothing but piles of scrap.

"You take one and I'll take the other one." Amy proclaimed to Knuckles as they slowed down their running into a jog so they don't lose their targets.

"Sounds like a plan, Rose. I'll go right." Knuckles agreed, turning around and getting prepared to take on the one getting closer to them.

As the menacing robots got close enough, the two heroes sprung into action rushing towards them. Knuckles started to climb a tree close to his prey to get better height as Amy got out her hammer and started to spin as fast as she could, using that momentum to slam her hammer into her tall badniks legs over and over again. Knuckles reached the top of the tree he was climbing and leaped towards the enormous badnik in front of him. Both of them need to reach the top of the robots heads and break the laser eye before they fire, failing to do so could cause them to light the entire forest on fire, which would only add to their list of problems.

Knuckles got close to his target's head, but the tree wasn't tall enough to reach, that's where he needed to dig his claw-like knuckles into the badnik metal plated skin and reach the top. That is if the robot would stop trying to shake him off like a bug while he was climbing, spinning its torso around like it's a powerful carnival ride with no strong handles to grip on to. The machine began to try and hit Knuckles with its heavy arms, but it couldn't quite hit its target, only slamming those tree log-like metal arms into itself. Looks like this carnival ride doesn't have any safety features. Knuckles would be climbing much faster if it's shell wasn't made out of smooth hard metal, it's very slippery and takes more effort to punch holes in to carry his weight.