13: Infiltration

"Listen up soldiers!." Knuckles shouted, catching the attention of his crew aboard on the ship. "Last night was a good night for all of us. We stood victorious once again! Now let's keep this ball rolling for this one as well. I've called you in for this emergency mission because I know you're all strong enough for this." He explained, getting everyone hyped up and ready to fight again after the previous mission. "We're going to the Death Egg!" He revealed.

The soldiers that were half asleep sprung up when they heard their commander say where they were heading off to. Most of them were fretful knowing they were going into the enemies' top base with little experience. Sure they have fought off badnik hordes and taken down operations that were under Eggman's direction, but they were dealing with the Death Egg here! The main base where Dr. Eggman was stationed.

A lot of the soldiers had begun to talk amongst themselves, unsure if going to the Death Egg was even a good idea. There was no way the group could just waltz right into the place, against a whole pack of robots!

"I know what you're saying amongst yourselves. You're all unsure whether we can do this." Knuckles called out. "But there is a reason why we are all here today, flying towards the Death Egg." Knuckles took a deep breath, and finally decided to tell them the reason.

"The reason why we are out here is because... Sonic is alive." He announced, and all of the soldiers were in a complete state of shock and disbelief.

Knuckles figured to himself that it was only a matter of time before he had to spill the beans about Sonic's whereabouts. He knew that his crew would have doubts, but he also knew that if they had something to fight for, they would surely rise to the challenge. The crew continued to talk to themselves, contemplating the news they had just received. Have they ultimately found their hero? Then, they all had a realization. If they managed to somehow survive this infiltration and rescue Sonic, then they might just have a fighting chance to win the war.

"We don't know how he'll be after being stuck here all this time so don't get hopes up too high. We're just here to destroy energy tubes and get Sonic. That is our two main objectives. And also getting rid of badniks trying to get in our way. Everyone got that?"

The soldiers nodded in agreement. "Good. Follow Felix, he knows where the main energy supply is." The ship was coming down for a landing inside of the Death Egg and everyone was slightly holding their breaths for this mission.

"Everyone, focus on getting rid of the energy supply. I'll go solo for Sonic. I'll call for backup if I need it." Knuckles shouted to his crew as they landed inside the Death Egg.

All of them charged out as soon as the door to the spaceship opened. Everyone went to the direction they were told before and Knuckles went his own way, following Sonic's power readings. It's a very faint blue dot but he can still figure out where he's located. Knuckles easily destroyed any badnik he came across big or small; NOTHING was holding him down. It surely doesn't help that Sonic is in the center of the Death Egg by the looks of things, not like Knuckles was expecting this mission to be easy. Punching, kicking, and throwing robots into one another like it's just some field game. It does get difficult to see in the bright red lighting; the enemies would blend in with the shadows only showing shiny metal plates. He hasn't stopped running, not even for one second. Even if there was a large badnik he could take care of swiftly, he ignored them by running past them, still focusing on the objective at hand. There's no way Knuckles can clear this whole space station of all its robots in a timely fashion.

The beeping of Knuckles' tracker got louder and more frequent as he came across the Electric Speed room. Having Sonic away surely makes battling this war harder. Knuckles thought taking his place as commander would lead them to victory but after all these months, he could use a speedy hedgehog to help. Knuckles threw a couple of punches to the door in front of him and made it burst open.