𝟎𝟎𝟕.𝟏

Piper had changed into comfortable camp clothes and led the Aphrodite cabin through their morning activities. She had just won the head counsellor duties at her cabin and now was headed for appointment at the Big House. Chiron met her on the front porch in human form, compacted into his wheelchair. "Come inside, my dear. The video conference is ready."

The only computer at camp was in Chiron's office, and the whole room was shielded in bronze plating.

"Demigods and technology don't mix," Chiron explained. "Phone calls, texting, even browsing the Internet—all these things can attract monsters. Why, just this fall at a school in Cincinnati, we had to rescue a young hero who Googled the gorgons and got a little more than he bargained for, but nevermind that. Here at camp, you're protected. Still ... we try to be cautious. You'll only be able to talk for a few minutes."

"Got it," Piper said. "Thank you, Chiron."

He smiled and wheeled himself out of the office. Piper hesitated before clicking the call button. Chiron's office had a cluttered, cozy feel. One wall was covered with T-shirts from different conventions—party ponies '09 vegas, party ponies '10 Honolulu, et cetera. Piper didn't know who the PartyPonies were, but judging from the stains, scorch marks, and weapon holes in the T-shirts, they must've had some pretty wild meetings. On the shelf over Chiron's desk sat an old-fashioned boom box with cassette tapes labeled "Dean Martin" and "Frank Sinatra" and "Greatest Hits of the 40s." Chiron was so old, Piper wondered if that meant 1940s, 1840s, or maybe just A.D. 40.

But most of the office's wall space was plastered with photos of demigods, like a hall of fame. One of the newer shots showed a teenage guy with dark hair and green eyes, there was Juliet too, both of them arm in arm while Annabeth and Augustus stood by their side awkwardly. There were pictures of Annabeth and Juliet as young as 9 year olds, and some a little older. Piper assumed the guy must be Percy Jackson. In some of the older photos, she recognized famous people: businessmen, athletes, even some actors that her dad knew.

"Unbelievable," she muttered. Piper wondered if her photo would go on that wall someday. She took a deep breath and made the call.  After the call ended she made her way out.

At the commons area, she found Jason relaxing on a bench, a basketball between his feet. He was sweaty from working out, but he looked great in hisorange tank top and shorts. His various scars and bruises from the quest were healing, thanks to some medical attention from the Apollo cabin. His arms and legs were well muscled and tan—distracting as always. His close-cropped blond hair caught the afternoon light so it looked like it was turning to gold, Midas style, it sort of reminded Piper of Juliet's hair.

"Hey," he said. "How did it go?"

It took her a second to focus on his question. 

"Hmm? Oh, yeah. Fine." She sat next to him and they watched the campers going back and forth.

 A couple of Demeter girls were playing tricks on two of the Apollo guys —making grass grow around their ankles as they shot baskets. Over at the camp store, the Hermes kids were putting up a sign that read: flying shoes,slightly used, 50% off today! Ares kids were lining their cabin with fresh barbed wire. The Hypnos cabin was snoring away. Piper spotted Juliet standing by the archery range with the bow she had seen in the armoury, that Annabeth had stopped her from taking, Juliet notched arrow after arrow hitting bull's eye. Piper's knife grew heavy in her pocket watching the girl.

Meanwhile, the Aphrodite kids were watching Piper and Jason, and trying to pretend they weren't. Piper was pretty sure she saw money change hands, like they were placing bets on a kiss.

"Get any sleep?" she asked him. 

He looked at her as if she'd been reading his thoughts. "Not much. Dreams."

"About your past?"

He nodded. She didn't push him. If he wanted to talk, that was fine, but she knew him better than to press the subject. She didn't even worry that her knowledge of him was mostly based on three months of false memories. You can sense possibilities, her mother had said. And Piper was determined to make those possibilities a reality. Jason spun his basketball. 

"It's not good news," he warned. "Piper I-I already have someone."

She wondered if he'd remembered a girl from his past. But she didn't let it bother her. Not on a sunny winter day like this, with Jason next to her.

"We'll figure it out," she promised.

He looked at her hesitantly, awkwardly, "Um there is not much to figure out here, I have a girlfriend back home,"

Piper stared at him with a blank look, Jason coughed in embarrassment and said, "Annabeth, Augustus and Rachel are coming in for the meeting tonight. I should probably wait until then to explain ..."

"Okay." She plucked a blade of grass by her foot. She would have to compete with Jason's past, and they might not even survive their war against the giants. But right now, they were both alive, and she was determined to enjoy this moment. Jason studied her warily. His forearm tattoo was faint blue in the sunlight. "You're in a good mood. How can you be so sure things will work out?"

"Because you're going to lead us," she said simply. "I'd follow you anywhere."

Jason blinked. Then looked away, "Dangerous thing to say."

"I'm a dangerous girl."

"That was so bad,"

"Shut up!" 

Both of them looked behind to see Austin and Will standing behind them, Austin was looking at Piper as if he couldn't believe she had actually just said something like being a dangerous girl, while Will looked sheepish.

"We didn't mean to eavesdrop!" Will hurriedly spoke, Austin turned up his nose at Piper for some reason he really didn't like her, "Who would want to eavesdrop on that shit try of a romantic conversation either?"

"Austin!" Will tried to shut up the older, looking at Piper who was fuming while Jason just sat there awkwardly. 

"What?" Austin scoffed, "It was so try hard, I'm a dangerous girl? Please be for real, Real romance was Percy describing Juliet's hair as sunbeams,"

"Percy," Will sighed pinching the bridge of his nose, "He's built different, anyways sorry guys Leo was looking for you,"

"Oh, uh thanks," Jason replied while getting to his feet.

"Damn, he's so awkward, I told you not all blondes are hot like us," Austin tried to whisper to Will, keyword tried because he had just announced his words to everyone within their 5 meters radius.

"Some people are introverted!" Will hissed out trying to pull his brother away, Austin gave a snide glance to Piper and sassed out, "Some people should be,"

 "Um, You coming?" Jason asked her, breaking her away from her glaring competition with Austin.

"Wouldn't miss it." She moved towards him, Jason moved back, Austin snorted in background, "Just a sec."

Piper said and took a card from her pocket—the silver calling card that Thalia had given her for the Hunters of Artemis. She dropped it into a nearby eternal fire and watched it burn. 

"Should've kept that," Austin told Will, or more like told everyone around them.

"Let's go," she told Jason, ignoring the son of Apollo. "We've got adventures to plan."

"I puked a little in mouth that was so cringe,"

"Austin!"

𝐀𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞! Just to remind y'all again, We do not condone positivity for Piper out here in this book, I'm sorry y'all but I have some strong opinions about the way she was written, it was so pick me and and delusional?? Like Rick wrote phenomenal stories with the entire first five pjo books and then forgot how to build personalities in Heroes of Olympus, the only good pov from that series I enjoyed was Leo's.

Also I'm ranting here, but does nobody find it weird that Piper legit came to camp for like a day? and all of a sudden she's like the main hero of the camp? I mean Percy was a loser till The Last Olympian, my dude went through it, and Piper spent one actual day in camp and suddenly she used to everything, involved in everything and what not?. I'm sorry it's not adding up.