𝟎𝟎𝟓.𝟐

After the unsuccessful attack by the giants, and the army of new Rome getting led by a reluctant Percy, there was supposed to a feast in celebration.

The feast of Fortuna had nothing  to do with tuna, which was fine with Percy.

Campers, Amazons and Lares crowded the mess hall for a lavish dinner. Even the fauns were invited, since they'd helped out by bandaging the wounded after the battle. Wind nymphs zipped around the room, delivering orders of pizza, burgers, steaks, salads, Chinese food, and burritos, all flying at terminal velocity. Despite the exhausting battle, everyone was in good spirits. 

Casualties had been light, and the few campers who'd previously died and come back to life, like Gwen, hadn't been taken to the Underworld. Maybe Thanatos had turned a blind eye. Or maybe Pluto had given those folks apass, like he had for Hazel. Whatever the case, nobody complained.

Colorful Amazon and Roman banners hung side-by-side from the rafters, Percy glanced at them and felt like puking, despite being in Rome he still wasn't fond of this place. 

The restored golden eagle stood proudly behind the praetor's table, and the walls were decorated with cornucopias—magical horns of plenty that spilled out recycling waterfalls of fruit, chocolate, and fresh-baked cookies. The cohorts mingled freely with the Amazons, jumping from couch to couch as they pleased, and for once the soldiers of the Fifth were welcome everywhere. Percy changed seats so many times, he lost track of his dinner. There was a lot of flirting and arm-wrestling—which seemed to be the same thing for the Amazons. 

At one point Percy was cornered by Kinzie, the Amazon who'd disarmed him in Seattle. Rather than explain he had a girlfriend Percy had screeched like a crow and ran away. 

Once everyone had eaten and the plates stopped flying, Reyna made a short speech. She formally welcomed the Amazons, thanking them for their help. Then she hugged her sister and everybody applauded. Reyna raised her hands for quiet. 

"My sister and I haven't always seen eye to eye—" 

Hylla laughed. "That's an understatement."

"She joined the Amazons," Reyna continued. "I joined Camp Jupiter. But looking around this room, I think we both made good choices. Strangely, our destinies were made possible by the hero you all just raised to praetor on the battlefield—Percy Jackson."

More cheering. The sisters raised their glasses to Percy and beckoned him forward. Percy's steps felt heavy as he moved forward, this was not home, this wasn't his campers hauling him up on his shoulders and cheering his name, not his friends yelling at him join him in a camp song. This was the enemy territory, Percy might be able to forget it but Achilles never could.

This respect meant nothing, they were all trojans in disguise. 

What am I doing here?

Everybody asked for a speech, but Percy didn't know what to say, he didn't fit in here. He protested that he really wasn't the best person for praetor, but the campers drowned him out with applause. 

Reyna took away his probatio neck plate. Octavian shot him a dirty look, then turned to the crowd and smiled like this was all his idea. He ripped open a teddy bear and pronounced good omens for the coming year—Fortuna would bless them! He passed his hand over Percy's arm and shouted: "Percy Jackson, son of Neptune, first year of service!"

The Roman symbols burned onto Percy's arm: a trident, SPQR, and asingle stripe. It felt like someone was pressing a hot iron into his skin, but Percy managed not to scream.

Octavian embraced him and whispered, "I hope it hurt."

Percy hoped it hurt too. The mark. It, he wasn't supposed to have this mark.