𝟎𝟐𝟒.𝟑

Juliet looked around the room, standing in shock as black water poured in around her legs, she recalled the words of her Prophecy. She hadn't come back to life for the prophecy of ten, but rather for her own prophecy which had been left unfulfilled, she was going to die again, this time how the faints wanted it.

The dark water rose to her waist, the basin filled with alarming speed.

Augustus, Jason, and Percy pounded on the walls, looking for an exit, but they found nothing. Piper was splashing around and Daphne had been helping Juliet when she had started panicking.

They climbed into the alcoves to gain some height, but with water pouring out of each niche, it was like trying to balance at the edge of a waterfall. Even as Juliet stood in a niche, the water was soon up to her knees. From the floor, it was probably eight feet deep and rising fast.

"I could try lightning," Jason said. "Maybe blast a hole in the roof?"

"That could bring down the whole room and crush us," Daphne said.

"Or electrocute us," Percy added, his hands trembling as they reached for Juliet, clutching her to him.

"Not many choices," Jason said.

"Let me search the bottom," Percy said. "If this place was built as a fountain, there has to be a way to drain the thing. You guys, check the niches for secret exits. Maybe the seashells are knobs, or something." 

It was a desperate idea. Juliet clutched onto Percy not wanting him to go but he assured her with a quick kiss before jumping into the water.

The rest of them climbed from niche to niche, kicking and pounding, wiggling seashells embedded in the stone; but they had no luck.

Sooner than Juliet expected, Percy broke the surface, gasping and flailing. She offered her hand, and he almost pulled her in before she could help him up.

"Couldn't breathe," he choked, and Juliet nearly fainted from fear. "The water...not normal. Hardly made it back."

Juliet held tightly onto Percy, she could see the very fear she felt reflected back in his eyes, no question that he was thinking about her prophecy as well.

The life force of the nymphs, Juliet thought. It was so poisoned and malicious, even a son of the sea god couldn't control it. 

As the water rose around her, Juliet felt it affecting her too. Her leg muscles trembled like she'd been running for miles. Her hands turned wrinkled and dry, despite being in the middle of a fountain. The boys moved sluggishly. Jason's face was pale. He seemed to be having trouble holding his sword. For the first time Juliet saw Percy was drenched and shivering. His hair didn't look quite so dark, as if the color was leaching out. Augustus was gasping for air, as if his lungs were collapsing.

"They're taking our power," Daphne said, she was shivering and wobbling around. "Draining us."

"Jason," Percy coughed, "do the lightning."

Jason raised his sword. The room rumbled, but no lightning appeared. The roof didn't break.

Instead, a miniature rainstorm formed at the top of the chamber. Rain poured down, filling the fountain even faster, but it wasn't normal rain. The stuff was just as dark as the water in the pool.

Every drop stung Juliet's skin.

"Not what I wanted," Jason said.

The water was up to their necks now. Juliet could feel her strength fading. Soon the poisonous water would be over their heads. They'd have to swim, and this stuff was already paralyzing them. They would drown, just like how it was said in the prophecy, and she would go back to the underworld.