Chapter 13: Twist & Shout

May grabbed her empty Pokéball and recalled Glaceon. "You fought great Glaceon, you've earned a nice long rest," she kissed the ball and put it back in her fanny pack.

Her attention turned to Ash, "I know you can finish this, Ash. With Quilava's Blaze, even Typhlosion is going to have quite the fight on its hands."

"Thanks, May, I'll do my best," he smiled at her. His face became serious the moment he faced the battlefield.

"Typhlosion, use Earthquake," Drew instructed, annoyed that May favored Ash in their battle.

"Quick Attack now!" Ash and Quilava mobilized quickly.

Drew's patience was running low. He did not expect the battle to drag out as long as it did. He realized he dangerously underestimated Ash and Quilava's willpower. Nonetheless, he was not going to go down without a fight. Quilava charged at full speed for Typhlosion, but Drew countered with Double-Edge. "Stop that Quick Attack with Double-Edge and end this once and for all!" Drew swore he'd secure his victory soon.

"Change to Flame Wheel," Ash made his move. The Quick Attack instantly became a Flame Wheel.

The coordinator was shocked by the sudden change, and Quilava got faster with flames encircling it. Typhlosion was confident it had enough power to end this. When Quilava and Typhlosion butted heads, they snarled ferociously. The energy from both was becoming static. There was a great sense of pride in both Fire types. Quilava wanted to prove itself by defeating its evolved form, and Typhlosion would not let his pre-evolved form best him.

Typhlosion's trainer wondered how long it could hold off Quilava. It had too much pride to lose, especially against Quilava. He remembered the last time Typhlosion battled and lost...against May's Blaziken.

There was a standstill between the Fire/Fighting-type and the Volcano Pokémon. Typhlosion used Eruption against Blaziken and had him right where he wanted. May was determined to win though. Flamethrowers clashed, and the stage became sweltering hot from their fiery attacks. However, Earthquake and Dig had Blaziken backed into a corner. It struggled to keep up with such techniques. Then May's starter figured it could jump as high as possible to avoid Typhlosion's Ground-type moves. Once in the air, Blaziken used a Mega Kick to kick Typhlosion back to the floor after it emerged from a hole.

When Typhlosion tried to use Double-Edge, Blaziken reacted quicker and used a Sky Uppercut that sent it flying. Then Blaziken jumped higher to use a Blaze Kick aimed at Typhlosion with its fiery talon. The tables turned in May's favor, and Typhlosion made a final stand by using Fire Blast. May countered it with Overheat. It turned into a fiery struggle as two of the most powerful fire moves pushed each other back and forth without any progress.

As Blaziken struggled to fight back, it remembered May's ability to pick herself back up after a devastating loss. He remembered her cries and her tears. The Hoenn Pokémon swore he would not let her down this time. Blaziken stopped using Overheat and lunged itself into the fire with Blaze Kick. The fighter emerged on the other side with incredible speed and force. Typhlosion gasped for air the moment it felt Blaziken's talon dig into its chest. The kick sent the Johto Pokémon flying against the wall. Typhlosion was down.

Since then, the Volcano Pokémon was determined to win the next time he fought May. For now, they were focused on defeating Ash and Quilava. Drew started sweating a bit. This had to end now. "Fire Blast Typhlosion, let's go!"

"You do the same Quilava," and the two Fire Blasts were at a draw.

How could he overpower Typhlosion? Ash thought, even with Blaze they were on even ground. The black-haired trainer observed the battlefield for any assistance and looked at the lake. He thought it was risky, but it was his last hope at victory. "Quilava, use Smokescreen!"