Chapter Twenty One

The uniformed cop looked at the text wordlessly and then called over a tall stocky stern looking light skinned Black woman that had just arrived in a plain brown sedan. She stomped over confidently and flashed her gold shield at him and Reed. " Detective Meg Rhodes , MPD. Homicide. What can I do for you people?"

Theo took a deep breath and introduced them both. Then he tried to explain the whole bizarre situation from beginning to the end. Truthfully he probably told a little too much.

Rhodes listened with no real expression on her face. She looked at the text once and handed the phone back to him. She said bluntly," So you trespassed at the victim's office and stumbled on a crime scene. Essentially contaminating it. And you and ..... a ...... friend asked nosy questions of people you consider suspects? Is that what you are saying? Dancing Theo ? "

Theo looked at Reed who looked back. " Pretty much. Yes. I wasn't really trespassing. The office was open. And I didn't mean to contaminate anything. I'm just a little clumsy. "

When he said a little clumsy he thought he heard his husband mutter under his breath," a lot clumsy " but he might have been mistaken.

" Mr. Walton - Fisher, go back to your little home with your..... husband here. Enjoy your day and try to forget what you saw here. Let the real cops do our jobs. After all we don't file people's taxes, do we now ? " She turned away.

Theo said," Wait! Hold on please. What about my friends and my goddaughter? My husband? Are they in any danger?"

Rhodes turned back to him with a condescending sneer on her face. " Just listen to the message. Stop asking questions. Go file a W2. "