Chapter 4

Running your fingers through his hair once more, you tried untangling your hands. It was more difficult than you thought but you were a success. You got up and wondered how much longer he would be asleep. Leaving him to sleep with the kitten, you continued to look.
You only found old memories and painful reminders. She was gone now. You took the rose on the table and headed for the shore, you needed some air.
You stared at the rose, 'She is a beautiful piece of nature.' You examined the rose. It was flawless. You shut your eyes, you sensed a power. A Godly power.
"(Y/n)."
Posiedon.
You growled, "yes?"
"Is that the nymph." He looked at the rose with sad eyes.
"Why do you care?"
"I'm your father, (Y/n)."
"Yeah, a real good one too."
He chuckled, "(Y/n)." He sat next to you, "let me see the rose."
You hesitated but gave it to him. "He cupped it, "a rose. One that shall never die."
"Everything dies." You sighed.
"I guess you could say that. This rose will follow your life."
You looked at him puzzled. He placed the rose back in your hands, "if you die, the rose will die with you. Take it as a gift from me."
"Thank you." You whispered.
He nodded.
"Look, this whole quest thing. You can try to find out yourself or I can tell you. And I'm going to tell you so we can get this over with."
"What is it?"
"I need you to go to the underworld. I need you to find a soul and bring it to me."
"A soul? Who's soul?"
"Yes. it's unique, you'll know. Once you have the soul, you will bring it to my castle."
"How will I now where your castle is?"
"Here," he digged in his pocket and brought out a flat-ish shell, "break this, when you're inside the water, and you'll find out." He waved, "goodbye." He raised up and walked into the water, deeper and deeper, until there was no sign of him.

You headed for the cave, you were starting to feel hungry.
'I guess it's time to put my cooking skills to use.' You thought. Maybe Nico would like your cooking and maybe he wouldn't. But you didn't worry about it, you were confident in your cooking. Your mother had shown you how to cook and she was the best. At least you thought, you never had any other home made food.
You headed to the gardens and picked some vegetables. It was nice. There were two woven baskets near the gardens. One was yours, and the other, your mother's. You also decided to pick a few fruits. 'Does Nico have a favorite fruit?' You wondered. 'I should ask him, maybe he's awake now.'
You left the basket and ran inside.
Nico was still sleeping.
You decided not too, but before you could leave, he muttered something you couldn't understand. You saw a tear slip from his closed eyes. You wiped the tear away just as his eyes shot opened, surprising you.

"Nico, you're awake!" You were frozen, 'embarrassment is a cruel thing.'

What are you doing?" He asked, not moving, staring up at you with his beautiful eyes. . .
"I was just, uh, you had a tear a-and I was just going to wipe it and then, you know, you w-woke up an-"
"How long have I been asleep?" He wiped his eyes with the base is his palm.
"It's evening."
"Not long." He picked up the sleeping kitten off his chest, slid from under your hovering body, and placed him on his shoulder.
The child of Hades has a soft spot for kittens, how cute. You flailed your hands, "I'm sorry, I was just going to ask you a question a-and t-"
"What was the question?"
"J-just it you had a favorite fruit."
"Hm?" He looked confused, "I don't know." He shrugged.
"You don't know?"
"No, I do not."
"Apples, mangos, strawberries? No?"
"Why?"
"Oh, I was just going to cook an-and. And I thought you might want one."
"Oh, okay." He got up and walked away.
So, no answer, okay.
You went back to the gardens, where Nico was examining the basket you had made.
"Where'd you get this basket?" He asked, not taking his eyes off it.
"Oh, I made it."
"Mhmm."
He looked around in the garden, "what we're you planing to make?"
"I don't know, maybe soup. Do you have any suggestions?"
"No."
"So, are you looking for a favorite fruit?" You asked, picking up the basket.
"I guess." He wandered off, looking at the fruits.