Chapter eight

When Ray comes home, he does so with a smile. He hadn't felt this cheerful in a long time. Akk is good company.

Ray almost regrets not agreeing to switch to Suppalo.

Ignoring the shiver that just thinking about it gives him, he stops in front of Ayan's door. He hasn't spoken to his brother since their fight and Ray doesn't like the indifferent looks Ayan gives him.

Ray is never good at apologizing, in fact, they never have fights that bad, so they just pretend that nothing happened later without needing to apologize. It's not good, because maybe Ayan can stay angry about something Ray doesn't care about.

Reaching his hand to the door handle, he stops abruptly. Ray never knocks before coming in, should he start by doing that?

So Ray knocks on the door.

Ayan doesn't answer, but Ray knows he's home.

"Aye, can you open it for me?"

The door opens and Ayan leans against it, his expression calm and indifferent. What a bitch.

"What do you need, P'Ray?" Ayan asks. "Do you still have shit to throw at me?"

Ray makes a disgusted face. Ayan only calls him Phi when he's mad at him and Ray doesn't need to be a genius to know when Ayan is mad. Anyone would notice really.

"I'm sorry for everything I said," Ray confesses honestly and Ayan's eyes widen in shock. Should Ayan really be so surprised? Has Ray never apologized to him? "I don't want you to keep doing this, that's all..."

Ayan examines him with his eyes and looks at the ground for a few seconds. Ray closes his eyes for a moment to calm down and not start another fight due to his brother's indifference.

"I want the best for you and that school is not it. Uncle Di wouldn't want you to do this."

Ray doesn't want to manipulate Ayan, but if doing so means his brother will stop foolishly seeking revenge, then Ray may become the villain of the story.

Ayan opens the door and leaves a space for Ray to enter, which he does. Ray sits awkwardly on the bed and takes a quick look around the room. There was nothing new or strange.

Ayan sits next to him somewhat abruptly and bounces a little.

"Just because you don't care doesn't mean I feel the same way." Ayan says, crossing his arms.

Ray sighs and lies face up on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Ayan lies next to him. If Ray closes his eyes, he can visualize them both lying on the grass on a starry night at a family campsite, where Uncle Dika had told them about the constellations and stars.

"I don't want to fight with you, because I know we have different opinions and I tend to hurt you most of the time, but I don't mean to, I just want you to understand." Ray murmurs, dejected. Normally not one to think about other people's feelings, Ayan is his little brother and wants the best for him, even if Ray has a hard time expressing himself or not being hurtful.

"Tell me," Ayan insists, crossing her arms under his head. "We're not going to fight, I promise. Tell me what you think, I want to know. Uncle Di always said it's better to say it than keep it."

"Even if being honest can hurt you?"

"Yes, even if you hurt me."

Ray forces his imagination to change places. He is now sitting with Ayan in front of the cliff where his uncle took his life. There are two white flowers in front of them and the wind is blowing strongly.

"I hate Uncle Di for what he did," Ray confesses, squeezing his eyelids tightly together. He doesn't want to see the disappointment and pain marked on his brother's face. "You and Mom loved him, but he didn't think of anyone else when he jumped."