Chapter 4: Face the Music

I woke up, got to school, expecting for today to be a normal day. Lectures, maybe a bad guy attacking between classes, meeting up with Spidey to fight them, y'know the usual. But today started off... interesting.

As soon as I got to school, I saw Harry back at Horizon High. "I'm cleared of all charges; I'm back, baby!" revealed Harry. He must've been saying it to Peter, who was right next to me. "That's awesome, Harry!" congratulated Peter.

"Yeah, that's great." I agreed. "Hey, Jessie," greeted Harry, ruffling my hair. "AH! HAR!" I cried. Harry chuckled and I got out of his grasp. "Not the noogie, anything but the noogie." I complained, fixing my hair.

Anya snickered. "Say one word, Anya, I swear...!" I started, pointing at my friend. "I wasn't chica, I wasn't," She said. "We need to celebrate. Aleksei, have any ideas?" asked Max.

*I don't remember what Aleksei said*

"Phew! I was afraid you were going to suggest a dance," sighed Peter in relief. "A dance! Great idea, Peter! A dance is exactly what we need!" agreed Max. Anya was ticked, that's for sure as she walked up to Peter.

"Horizon High hosting a DANCE!? Great job, Parker!" scolded Anya, storming off. "Well, heaven knows I'm not coming to school tomorrow," I sighed. I hated dancing. Last time I was in a dance, I ended up breaking my arm. Who knows how bad it'll be now that I have a prosthetic!?

"Thanks a lot, PARKER?!" I retorted. Sadly, Anya and Gwen had an idea form in their heads, and walked up to me. "Freeze, Jessie! Don't you know a dance is the perfect way to set up a couple?" asked Anya.

"Me.and.Peter.are.just.friends!" I reminded sternly. Anya sighed. "Fine, whatever." said Anya, smirking at me. I could tell she hasn't given up on it. I groaned, deciding not to do anything about it.

The bell broke the moment as we were all summoned to class. My teacher told all of us to open our notebooks and start reading.

<time skip>

"Oh, dammit, I regret not coming to school today!"

It was the day of the dance, and I persuaded my father to let me be absent. Oh, lord, how I regret it. Horizon High is across the city from Osborn Academy, and not even 35 mph running could get me that far in time.

I had gotten word from Spider-Man that a student, Aleksei, got mutated into a rhino. I wasn't that close with Aleksei as I am with everyone else, but I wasn't about to let him get mutated into a rhino.

I ran as fast as I could, and when I got there, the rhino was passed out. "Where's Spider-Man?" I asked as I couldn't find the red-and-blue hero who likes to be the center of my irritation ALL THE TIME.

"He's at Gwen's house," revealed Anya. I JUST GOT HERE. SPIDER-MAN, SCREW YOU. I ran towards Gwen's house, where I had a frying pan thrown at me. "AUGH! Hey, this isn't Tangled!" I shouted furiously.

"Spider-Wolf? Oh, thank god. I thought you were the Jackal." sighed Gwen. "He's green, I'm golden." I reminded. People are colorblind these days. Color.blind.

Gwen sheepishly chuckled. "I'm trying to find something to help Spidey with the Jackal. They're up in my room." She said. I'm just going to walk up there. I walked up there, and I saw Spider-Man being pinned into a wall by the jackal.

"Is this a party for two?!"

As I went to scratch Jackal, I remembered how it barely hurt him the first time. Instead of a scratch, I went for a bite. Jackal screeched, and collapsed. I spun towards Spider-Man, who's costume had a claw mark on it.

"Your costume's busted," I noted. "I noticed. It's only a scratch. Thank God it's not the mask." replied Spider-Man. I hummed in agreement, before our moment was ruined by someone coming in.

"Gwen?! What're you-?!"

The Jackal was cured and turned into the last person I would imagine being the Jackal. "The Jackal is professor Raymond Warren?" Me and Spidey asked in unison. So Spidey's familiar with the guy too. Huh.

"Worse," started Gwen. "The Jackal's my uncle." I gasped, widening my hazel eyes and putting a paw up to my mouth. "I'm so sorry." Spider-Man beat me to it.

My ears twitched as I heard sirens. "The police are here. Spidey, I think we should go," I said, looking up at my partner. "I'm staying here. He IS family, after all." said Gwen. I sighed. Poor Gwen...

Me and Spidey left the scene, with police cars surrounding the house. We stared atop a building, where I was laying down, resting from all the running I had to do, and Spider-Man was observing what went down.

"Screw you for being able to go so fast," I spoke. "Screw you for being so slow," teased Spider-Man. I snarled to which Spidey snickered.

We observed the alarming scene before us, before Spider-Man had to go. Later, I did as well. I transformed into Jessica and ran towards Horizon High. "I came as fast as I could," I revealed, panting between words.

"Aleksei has turned into a rhino." revealed Miles. I had to pretend I didn't know already. "What? He did? Oh no, that's... that's bad." I said, careful so they didn't take it the wrong way. Thank God they didn't.

I went to check on Gwen the next day, and turns out she was holding a picture of her and her uncle, crying softly as she sat on the couch. I sighed as I went to go sit next to her. "You okay?" I asked.

"Why would he do this?" asked Gwen, sobbing. "My uncle is the one who got me into science. Why would he betray everything he taught me to stand for?"

"Hey," I said. "I dunno why he did that. I dunno why he did what he did, but I do know one thing. You can grow to be stronger than him. He made his choice. You can make yours. Either be like him..." I put a hand on her shoulder "or continue being the Gwen I knew since childhood."

Gwen smiled at me. "Thanks, Jessie," said Gwen, hugging me. I hugged back.

Little did I know, it would all go downhill soon...