Chapter 12: Memories

It was dark. I was buried deep, trapped within my own mind. I got to see everything that happened out there, and it wasn't great.

Peter, Harry, and Anya were fighting off the spider monsters. I crept up and down the spider webs as they entered the lair. Anya was just hit. Peter and Harry got the spider monsters away from her. "Ouch, that was... ow." winced Anya, getting up.

I pounced on her, making her scream. "JESSICA?! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!?" asked Anya. "Obeying Jackal's orders," I answered without emotion, slashing and slashing at Anya. Anya rolled out of the way and panted a bit.

"Since when have you worked for the Jackal? Jessie, this isn't you!" said Anya. "Shut up about that other girl! That Jessica, the one you met, was some other dimensional timeline girl. I'm not her anymore, and I never will be!" I growled.

"Jess, I know you're in there, honey. I wanna help you. Let me do that— Let me help my BFF!" explained Anya. "Shut up!" I explained, pouncing at her. I pinned her down firmly not letting go.

"Snap out of it! This isn't you— I know it isn't truly you! You've been weird ever since you came back and now I know! What happened while you were gone?!?" asked Anya. "I want to help you." She added.

I growled at her. "That weak girl," I scoffed, walking off of Anya. "You really thought SHE could prevail?"

Anya glared at me softly. Anya sighed deeply and approached me slowly as I backed away with haste, not letting her get an inch close to me.

"If the light is running low, and the shadows start to grow, and the places that you know seem like a fantasy," she sung as I was cornered up against the wall. She smiled in a familiar way. "There's a light inside your soul, that's still shining in the cold, with the truth... the promise in our hearts." She sung as she approached me so close that not even a piece of paper could slip between us.

"Don't forget: I'm—"

At that moment, I sung with her. "With you in the dark," we said in unison. I grasped my head in pain and Anya put a soft hand on my shoulder. The pain was short-lived as I looked at Anya in recognition. "Anya! Thank you so much!" I hugged her in joy.

"Do you... remember?" She asked as we let go. "I..." I started. I grasped my hair and started curling it. "It's only blurs. I remember some memories... like when we met. Most of my memories are... recent." Anya sighed in disappointment.

"Well, you know who I am right? That's all that matters, Jessie." said Anya. "Yeah, I know who you are Anya. Who Peter is, Spidey, Harry, Gwen, Max, Flash, Dad, etc... who I am." I reassured. Anya smiled and hugged me.

"Im glad you're back, Jessica," said Anya in relief. "Me too Anya. Now, I feel like I have a lot of explaining to do." I sighed. "Don't worry. You're not alone." replied Anya. "So... how do you feel about me being Spider-Wolf?" I asked.

"I had my suspicions," shrugged Anya. I perked at this. "What? You've known all along?" I asked. "Yeah, pretty much. I pretended to buy your lies. After all, the key to learning who a superhero is..." said Anya.

"Late timing to go to school, familiar voice and bad excuses. Yeah, yeah I know. Does Gwen?" I asked. "No, she's essentially clueless. So... if we survive this apocalypse, can I do a study of your DNA~?" asked Anya excitedly.

"Ughhh, I guess so." I facepalmed myself with my one good arm. "Also, we need to help Peter and Harry. They're fighting Spider Monsters all on their own!" said Anya. "What?! Oh no, let's go!" I asked. I started to sprint but saw Anya couldn't run.

"Ow, I guess that debris hitting me did a lot more than break my back." grimaced Anya. I half-supported her through the lair, turning into a wolf and letting her ride on my back.

It was startling. I knew I'd never be the same ever again. I don't remember things... like snippets of my life were stripped from my memory. One things for sure: I better not be alone next time I encounter Jackal.

He took advantage of me while I suffered amnesia, manipulated me into thinking he's the good guy and Spider-Man and co. were the bad guys. By the time we got to the place, an unconscious Dad was laid.

"He's unconscious. But he should be alright."

"Spidey!" I cried, announcing me and Anya's presence. "Anya! Spider-Wolf! Harry, give me a hand." said Spider-Man, as Anya attempted to approach them but had to hang onto webs. Harry gave us a relieved smile. But a familiar voice rang through my ears like a bad nightmare.

"You were a fool to come here, Spider-Man. Considering you're the key to it all."

"Jackal," I realized softly. The spiders webbed him and he fell to the ground. "Harry, get everyone out of here." ordered Spider-Man. Harry and Anya helped Dad onto the glider and I leapt on it. The three of us looked back at Spider-Man worriedly.

"Go!"

We flew off on the glider leaving him behind. Once we got to a safe place, we set Dad up on a hospital bed. "We have to go back. He'll never be able to survive." I said worriedly. "No, Jessica. We'll die as well." rejected Harry.

"I'm not leaving him." I argued when me and Harry were alone in the room and Anya was recovering. "Don't have too. I'm going after Peter." said Harry. "Peter?! What do you mean Peter? Where was Peter?" I asked.

"Uhh..." started Harry. "Wait...Harry. Is Peter Spider-Man?" I asked sternly. "W-Well, I-I-I, uhm..." stammered Harry. "The short version, yes." My eyes widened and I gasped. "But you need to stay behind with Anya and father. Please? You need to protect them."

"I'll.. I'll do my best." I promised. "Thank you Jessica. I hope this will all be over soon. I miss dealing with grades." joked Harry. "Good luck finding someone else who'll do your homework then." I smiled smugly.

"You don't do my homework to begin with. Peter however does."

"I'm going to convince him... a special way." I sneered, winking at him, transforming into my wolf form and going to check on Anya. "Wait, wait, wait, what was that about special?!" asked Harry as I chuckled in amusement and ran farther and faster.