Prologue

My mother always used to sit me down and tell me all about her great love stories. And there were many, to say the least.

So, I grew up seeing many men leaving her bedroom. Their relationship would only last a couple of weeks or so. But my mother finally seemed happy, and so I could only be happy for her.

But I didn't want that for myself, as much as I loved my mom. I pictured something totally different. I wanted something real, something... better, and less toxic.

I only wanted one love story with someone who truly loved me for me. I always tried to convince myself there was a person for me out there, someone who would love me like I should be loved. To cherish me, even though there was always a doubt in the back of my mind.

But I didn't know all the ways love could hurt, as well. My mom did warn me about it, but fuck, she skipped a few details on the actual heartache part.

And she certainly didn't warn me about men like Theo Miller.

He crashed into my life so suddenly, like a harsh wave.

He took me by surprise and left me breathless, and I didn't even realize it until it was too late. He was the one thing I should've stayed away from.

I felt his tattooed hands around my neck as his soft words whispered over my skin, and it felt so good. From the very first moment I laid my eyes back on him, I knew I was hooked.

He hadn't changed so much. And at first, I was trying to convince myself that his presence bothered me. I wasn't ready to admit that he affected me.

And when he parted those luscious lips to speak, and his deep voice was ringing in my ears, I had to hold on to something to not melt right then and there.

I still wondered how he held so much power over me.

How he controlled me and how he knew everything about my mind, soul, and body. How he knew exactly what to do to have me completely at his mercy.

God, if I'd known what kind of force he was, maybe I would've stayed away.

Maybe I would've stayed on the edge and been safer, instead of falling into the deep pit that's disguised for infatuation, lust, and worst of all, love.