Chapter Fifteen

SPENCER

❦❤︎❦

The football field was littered with practicing players when we arrived, and I had to admit that this was looking pretty fun.

Many students had been looking forward to this football game for most of the semester. The football team, including Blake, spent most of their time practicing over the last few months.

It was the biggest game of their career.

Students filled the bleachers, carrying drinks and snacks while laughing with their friends and finding the perfect spot to sit.

The air was filled with excitement and adrenaline, something we all desperately needed after the week we had.

With exhausting tests no one studied for and agonizing lectures, we could all use the break.

"Where do you usually sit?" I asked Charlotte, and she pointed to the front row where Miller was surprising sitting with his friends that I met the other night.

The little shit.

I debated going up there, to say hi to his friends out of spite. But I decided against it. I was going to be here to support Blake. To see him play and be his personal hype cheerleader.

"Could we sit somewhere else? Maybe... a little further down that way?"

"Sure."

I waved at Walker when he and one of his friends— who I've never met before— joined us, the two dressed in the blue and white colors from our school.

Maybe I should've put some more thought into my own outfit, but it was certainly too late for that now.

The pink tank top and light jeans I wore was definitely contrary to our school colors, but I wanted to be comfortable more than anything.

"Hey, guys," Walker chirped when he plopped next to me on the bench, his light brown hair bouncing as he did.

"Hey," Charlotte and I said.

"This is Tobey, he's a new friend of mine from work," he explained.

"Hi." His sweet voice rang in my ears, causing a smile to form on my lips.

"It's nice to meet you, I'm Charlotte," she quickly introduced herself, immediately dropping her hand from his after she shook it.

"And you must be Spencer, I've heard so much about you," he brought my hand up to his face, his lips grazing my hand as he placed a soft kiss on it.

"Only good things, I hope," I laughed, and Walker winked.

"Oh, of course."

The players of both teams walked onto the field and people cheered, definitely providing the distraction we all needed.

As much as I hate to admit, my very own distraction sat to the left of us, the sleeves of his tight black shirt sitting tight over his biceps and his face expressionless, like every other time I had seen him before.

How typical.

I tried to ignore him and focus on the referee, watching the team captains shake hands in front of him.

This was going to be a long evening.

❦❤︎❦

Watching our team defeat their opponents was amazing, and by the time the last players had walked off of the field, the crowd was ecstatic.