Chapter Fourteen

SPENCER

❦❤︎❦

"And as for the names," Shane broke the intense, confusing silence. "I'm Shane. The creep's Oliver. This nerd is Liam."

He continued before pointing over at Miller who was already shooting daggers at him.

"And that's... Theo. But I'm certain you know that already. Aren't you guys like, arch enemies or something? I heard you hate each other's guts."

I ignored him. But where did he hear that? I mean it was true nonetheless, but did people seriously talk about us?

Remembering the real topic at hand, I couldn't hide the disbelief in my voice. "For real? You guys are a real mafia?"

Miller gave me one of those looks. "Isn't that what I just said? Keep up, Matthews."

"It's just surprising, is all."

I hadn't exactly expected to find myself in between a mafia. A real mafia, at that. But clearly, if there was one person who was sketchy enough to be in a gang, it'd be Theo Miller.

"And you, gorgeous, are the first ever person to know about this," Oliver smiled.

I furrowed my brows, because that's when the questions came.

A lot of them.

"Why am I—" I was cut off just as quickly when my phone started ringing out loud. Taking it out of my pocket, I realized soon enough that all eyes were on me.

"Hello?" I answered.

There was just silence at first, and it almost made me fidget anxiously.

"Spencer, I don't know what the fuck you're doing but I don't want to get beaten up by your mom, all right?"

Blake's exasperated voice broke the silence.

I blinked in surprise. "What do you mean, Blake?"

There was pin-drop silence around me, and all of them were so indulged in hearing the conversation that it almost made me believe nobody was here.

Except for Miller, that is. Who just rolled his eyes after hearing his brother's name.

"She has a boyfriend?" Oliver whispered, and I wasn't exactly sure whether the shock on his face was real or fake.

I looked up at him in bewilderment. "Wait, who was that, Spencer?" Blake asked.

This was going to be a bit complicated. "No one. I'm watching TV—"

"Where are you?" He asked again.

"Um... Why?"

"Because your mom's angry, Spencer. Like beyond pissed." He still sounded scared. "She just called me the third time asking where you were and why you haven't called her in three weeks. Does that ring a bell?"

Oh. Shit. Had it really been three weeks already?

"Right. Right." I blurted out. "Um... I'll call her soon. I promise. Don't worry about it." And I didn't think twice before ending the call abruptly.

I knew this would be a mess once I'd see Blake again, but right now, my mom was the bigger problem here.

If I didn't go back to my apartment right now and call her, she might just kill me. She was a crazy Black woman.

Stuffing my phone hastily back in my pocket, I looked up at no one in particular. "Um, I seriously gotta go. It's late and my mom would really kill— Miller, I really need to head back."