Chapter Four

SPENCER

❦❤︎❦

          The next few weeks dragged on, and luckily for me, I hadn't seen Theo at all.

Maybe he was just visiting that night, and went back to Maine. Or wherever the hell he came from.

So I was grateful, to say the least.

My thoughts were all over the place as I continued wiping down the counter. Tonight was my night to close, like almost every night was.

That was one of the worst parts about working at the Avalon Nightclub.

I've worked here for a year and a half, and I'm practically the only worker that closes. It's very rare that someone else closes, especially because there's only two other bartenders besides myself.

I was nearly finished, the 'close' red sign flickering in fancy cursive, letting everyone know that we were no longer open.

The sultry lights were still on, flowing between the seductive colors.

The vibrations of the slow, alluring music pumped subtly and caressed my bones with the same nervous excitement I'd felt the first time I stepped foot in here looking for a part-time job.

Nobody else was here, which was exactly what I wanted on a quiet night like this.

A peaceful, calm closing before I went home.

Sunday night closing was perfect because it also gave me enough time to prepare for a stress-filled week.

My heels clicked along the black, shiny floors as I made my way around the bar, wiping down any mess left on the counter and sweeping anything I needed to.

At that exact moment, my phone rang and showed Blake's name on the screen. "Hey, Blake." I answered, blowing out a long exaggerated sigh.

He responded with a small chuckle. "Why so gloomy, Spencer?"

"Don't ask," I kept it short. "But I'd be cheery again if you're willing to do my homework for Law class?" He snorted in response as if that suggestion alone was totally idiotic.

Knowing him though, it probably was.

A sudden swoosh sound distracted me, and I turned my head towards the club's entrance. A white envelope had been placed on the floor near the door, and I hesitated to pick it up, but ultimately ended up doing so.

It wasn't rare or unusual for me to receive mail at my job, so I thought nothing cynical of it. Maybe it was a bill I had to pay? Eyeing the letter with curiosity, I spoke again, "Anyway, when exactly is the football game?"

"Why?"

"Just asking," I shrugged, even though he couldn't see me. Blake fell silent at that again, as if he was thinking. "It's in a month. You have more than enough time to prepare yourself."

"Great, I'll just stay in the library until the game starts," I say before untying my hair out of my ponytail and letting them fall over my shoulders.

"That's a good plan." He sighed. "I'll be practicing until then, so we might not get to hang out as much."

"That's fine."

"There's also a party Friday night after the practice game, and before you say anything, you're coming," he explained.

"What— no, Blake. Classes will be... tiring, I'm sure. I'll probably just pass out after I get home—"

"Spencer Matthews." He sternly said, and I pouted. "You're coming to support me after my game, whether you like it or not."