Chapter Sixteen

SPENCER

❦❤︎❦

                I had been trapped in here for what felt like an eternity. I was about to press onto Blake's name, trying my best not to freak out too much, when I heard the doorknob turning.

My eyes widened in response and I stood up just as quick, hope filling up inside me out of nowhere.

And I felt way beyond relieved when I saw the door opening.

"Oh my God." I rushed outside the next instant, fresh air hitting me from almost everywhere.

I don't think I'd ever been this grateful in my entire life. Willing my heart to stop beating so loudly, I pushed back my sweat-drenched hair away from my face, taking in loud, deep breaths to calm myself down.

I was out of there. I was fine.

"What the fuck happened?"

I jerked my head towards the familiar guy right in front of me— the one who I think had opened the door I was trapped behind. I had been too busy trying to breathe that I hadn't even noticed him.

It was Theo.

Instead of replying, I went farthest away from the door I had just been trapped behind and found myself leaning back against the nearest wall.

"How long have you been in there?" He asked me, looking over at the door.

I stared at him with wide eyes. I didn't know what he was doing here, or how he could've known to check the door. He didn't even study at this school and was probably the last person I was expecting to save me.

But since he had practically saved me from an extreme mental breakdown, I wasn't complaining.

"I— someone locked me in there," I whispered, pointing over at the same door.

Miller stared at me, still looking confused before he scoffed. "Really?"

I gave him a disbelieving glance. Did he really think I trapped myself in there? "Yes," I stated out in an urgent whisper.

It sounded squeaky if I tried raising it above a whisper, probably because I was still left a bit shaken.

"I mean, of course." He overcame his confusion at last. "Are you alright?"

I was nowhere near okay. Locking someone inside a completely dark room wasn't okay. Why had somebody even done that? This was truly mortifying.

"How—" I stopped and cleared my throat when my voice came out a bit raspy. "How did you open it?"

He raised his brows at my question, before his gaze travelled down towards the floor, stopping at a thin metal rod. "That was keeping the door from opening." He said. "I just took it out."

I kept my eyes trained at the metal rod, totally creeped out. "And you still didn't believe me?"

He leaned down and picked up the rod before glancing up at me again. "Relax, Matthews. I believe you." He stated that with a hint of exaggeration. "But why would anyone lock you inside?"

I blinked and looked around the gym. It was still empty; there was no one in here, not even Blake.

"I-I don't know," I whispered.

"Could it be any of your friends just pranking you?" He asked with a suggestive tone, his eyes narrowed. "Because that seems to be the only possible explanation."

I gave him a look of utter disbelief, which thankfully wiped off any doubts from his face.

"Well," he said. "Somebody must've wanted to scare you."