Chapter Eleven

SPENCER

❦❤︎❦

"East mafia?" I asked him. "What kind of name is that?" Theo's stare was mostly impassive for a few seconds until he opened his mouth to answer me.

But I cut him off first.

"I mean, I did know there may be gangs and mafia's here in this sketchy city. People who deal with drugs and murders and whatnot," I said, then narrowed my eyes ever so slightly. "But why would a mafia involve itself with me?"

He closed his mouth shut and gave me a look of disbelief.

"I'm just an average college student. I've never even gotten in trouble with the law before, and they're suddenly sending me letters? What do they want with me?"

Theo then inhaled a breath, running a hand over his buzzed head. "You're not average, Matthews. You're rich, and living in New York city. If anything, you're an easy target. They've done this before."

"What— They've done this before? Do mafias prank these days? Because that's way too immature. If my mom found out about this—" I stopped and narrowed my eyes even further at him. "You're not messing with me, are you?"

"Why the fuck would I waste my time and mess with you?" He almost sounded offended. If I thought he was warming up to me, since he was actually inside my apartment right now, I was so fucking wrong.

Things like such must be as rare as hell freezing over. Twice.

"So." I started slowly, cautiously. "You're saying that there is an East mafia?"

He dragged a hand over his shaved head and my eyes seemed to follow the action. "What else did I say, dumbass?"

He didn't even bother looking like he was trying to have bits of control over his patience; he looked highly irritated by now.

At this point, he definitely needed to work a lot on himself. A lot.

"Why would a gang want to prank me?" I frowned.

I was aware that a handful of people disliked my parents— especially my dad— mostly because of them being lawyers. But I didn't think my parents would ever involve themselves with a gang rivalry.

"That wasn't a prank." He rudely told me. "Do you consider killing someone a prank?"

I bit my lip and shook my head, backing up against the couch. "I didn't think so."

I stuck with questioning him in return. "Why were you there that night anyway? Park Avenue Street, I mean?" Of course back home, Theo Miller was considered mysterious in many ways, but I couldn't really imagine him being involved with those gangs.

Although it wouldn't necessarily be that surprising though, either.

But wasn't he too young for that? What about his parents? Did they have any idea of whatever that he went around getting himself involved with? I'm guessing not, considering he was an adult now.

Theo folded the paper in his hands and stuffed it in his back pocket, looking unbothered by my question. It almost seemed like he wasn't even going to answer me.

"You don't need to know the answer to that," he dismissed the question just like that and headed for the front door, ready to leave.

I straightened up from the couch a little too quickly. "You can't just leave without telling me what this all is about! Miller, wait—"

He turned back towards me and his piercing gray eyes found my green ones once again. I wasn't really that short, but he was definitely taller by at least a foot. "Just stay away from it, Matthews." He frowned at me. "I'll make sure this doesn't happen again. Don't worry about it."