Chapter Five

SPENCER

❦❤︎❦

     I was a hundred percent certain I would've gotten shot only if someone hadn't pushed me out of the way right then, shoving me with a grip so strong that it threw me completely off guard.

And then, I felt my back hitting the concrete pavement a little too harshly.

"Ow!" I complained when the back of my head slammed against the ground.

There was absolutely nothing pleasurable about getting yourself body-slammed on rock-hard concrete. I was pretty certain my vision went completely black for a few seconds there.

And I really wasn't being dramatic this time. I swear.

Blinking rapidly, I felt a pair of strong, muscular arms around me, and a heavy body on top of me. I tried to make out the face but it wasn't that easy, especially between the darkness and my sudden throbbing head.

I would've probably gotten squished under him— at least I think it was a him— if only he hadn't pulled away the next instant, gripping one of my arms and swearing under his breath, snatching me up from the ground as well.

I tried my best not to stumble and fall over as he dragged me carelessly behind him, reaching a narrow alleyway and stepping behind the concrete wall.

I wasn't just scared. I was beyond terrified at this point.

"What the fuck's going on—" I began to shout, only to let out a gasp, my words suddenly silenced when he shut me up with his large, cold hand placed over my mouth.

I probably would've pushed him away only if I hadn't heard the sudden footsteps approaching the same alley we were hiding in.

Someone was following us.

I closed my eyes out of horror, silently hoping to get out of here alive. I didn't want to die, I just wanted to go back home. I wouldn't ever follow random directions on a spam mail again, I thought.

I felt a tear slide down my cheek, and a choked cry almost left my lips. I wouldn't ever follow random streets when trying to get home, I thought.

I would even work harder in Administrative Law class, I swear. I'd do anything. But please, just get me the fuck out of here alive.

Much to my relief, the footsteps stopped and started fading away, leaving the narrow alley instead of catching up to us.

I then opened my eyes, blinking rapidly, and felt the thudding of my heart slowing down a little. The guy who had just saved me from those bullets waited for a few silent seconds before pulling his hand away from my mouth.

"Could you have been any more fucking obvious?" He was talking to me, I suddenly realized. And he sounded furious.

I couldn't see his face in the dark, but I knew that I recognized his voice.

A small confused sound formed at the very back of my throat. Almost like a whimper. He waved his hand in front of my face since I didn't answer him, and then took a step back.

That's pretty much when I saw his face, the moonlight angled right over him.

This seriously can't be happening.

"Miller?" My voice sounded squeaky and I cringed inwardly at that. I was still pretty freaked out. "Oh, what the hell?"

I seriously couldn't believe it. What was he even doing here in the first place?