𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝟷 - ☽ 𝙰 𝚙𝚊𝚒𝚛 𝚘𝚏 𝚜𝚑𝚊𝚍𝚘𝚠𝚜 ☾

Notes: 
Elvish: Mellon nin (in bold + italics)
Thoughts: 'It is my fault' (between single quotation marks + italics)
Dialoge: "Oh, shut up!" (between quotation marks)

꧁————————————————————————————————————————꧂

Rain and darkness painted the sky as two hooded figures lurked in the corners of Bree like shadows. One of them was disguised to hide a pair of pointy ears and fair facial features that had inspired many paintings among men.
The other one, however, was cloaked because they simply thought it useful. For they could prevent having anyone following their tracks. It was in fact a she-elf and a ranger that entered the Prancing Pony that night.

They had a mission there. A very important one. Gandalf the Grey had conveyed them a message. Four hobbits would be arriving at the Prancing Pony at any hour of the night, according to the wizard. The two companions had been assigned to watch the four hobbits until Gandalf arrived and if he didn't they would take them to the hidden Valley of Imladris. They had to be careful though. For one of the halflings carried a great peril that could doom every free kingdom in Middle Earth to fall. The she-elf and the ranger sat down on a table they were given at the corner of the inn. Just then a woman who worked in the place approached their table and asked the, what was that they wished to drink.

The ranger asked for a pint while the elf maid requested a small goblet of the best wine they had, earning a pair of high brows and a lopsided smirk from the other. The woman smiled, a little overwhelmed by the presence of the two figures in front of her, and left. Once said woman was far from their table, the ranger got close to his elven friend and whispered playfully near her ear.

"A goblet of wine. How royal of you, mellon nin (my friend)" He said.

"Oh, shut up!" Answered the Elbereth in the same tone of voice. As she said so, she gave a hard shove to Aragorn's forearm.

They liked these games. You mock me. I mock you back. They had been doing so for years. Either in letters or in person. Elbereth and Legolas visited the dúnedain once a year. They longed to visit him more but their father, King Thranduil, was not really fond of the idea of his two children —one of them being the heir to the throne— travelling through the wilderness and finding themselves exposed to the dangerous outside world, even if the siblings had a dozen guards accompanying them.

In this case Elbereth and Legolas had arrived at Imladris to inform Lord Elrond of the escape of the creature Gollum from their dungeons in Eryn Lasgalen. Thranduil was furious, but there was little they could do about it. Aragorn had been told to ensure the safety of the hobbits by himself but Elbereth had been really insistent and finally —against Legolas' wishes— they let her go with the ranger.

A few minutes later the door of the inn opened and four tiny men entered the place.
Hobbits...

"There they are." Whispered the she-elf.

The four hobbits sat on a table beside the inn's bar. Making somehow a perfect angle for the two companions to be able to watch them from a distance. Aragorn pulled out his pipe and started smoking. His face was covered by the shadow of his hood and his piercing grey eyes looked at the hobbits. Elbereth nudged Aragorn's shoulder.

"Estel..." Aragorn looked at his friend. "If you stare at the hobbits so directly, they might end up thinking we mean to take them captive of bring them death." Continued Elberth. Aragorn turned to the worried looking she-elf with a small smile and guilty eyes.

"Goheno nin. That is not my intention (forgive me)." The ranger glanced back at the hobbits. He knew the she-elf was right. However, he really couldn't help it. For he felt some evil. A great evil. And that built worry on the ranger's mind. Worry that blocked the self control the ranger had on himself and forced him to act on instinct. Which was not the ideal for the current mission.