Chapter 3: The Devil

As Hukum sat across from Aditee's father, the weight of his words hung heavy in the air, casting a pall over the room. There was an undeniable sense of authority emanating from him, a silent command that brooked no argument.

"Betuki baate karna hame nahi aata isiliye sidha mudde pe aate hai," Hukum began, his voice carrying a steely resolve. "Ham apki badi beti Aditee ko pasand karte aur usse vivah karna chahte."(I don'tknow how to talk nonsense, so I'll come straight to the point.)(I like your elder daughter Aditi and want to marry her.)

Aditee's father listened in stunned silence, his mind reeling at the sudden turn of events. He had expected many things when Hukum had requested this meeting, but a proposal of marriage for his daughter had not been one of them.

"Kal hi hamari hone wali biwi ka senior unka haath maangne aaya tha. Aur ye vajah hai ki hamne us.." Hukum paused, turning to his companion for confirmation. "Raghav, kya naam tha uska?"(Just yesterday, my future wife's senior came to ask for her hand. And this is the reason why I..) (Raghav, what was his name?)

"Ji, Shubham Hukum," Raghav responded promptly.

"Haa, Shubham," Hukum continued, his tone unyielding. "Uske dono haath tudwa diye. Ab aapko ye sochna hai ki Shaadi 1 hafte mein hogi ya 1 mahine mein. Aur zyada tension mat lijiye Shaadi ka Sara kharcha ham uthayenge. Aakhir Damaad hai apke." (Both of his hands were broken. Now you have to think that the marriage will happen in 1 week or 1 month. And don't worry too much, we will bear all the expenses of the wedding. After all, I'm your son-in-law now.)

With those final words, Hukum rose from his seat, a silent command for Aditee's father to contemplate his offer. The weight of his decision hung heavy in the air, and Aditee's father found himself torn between his duty as a father and his fear of what marrying his daughter to the infamous Hukum would entail.

He loved both his daughters dearly, and the thought of sending one of them into the lion's den filled him with a deep sense of unease. But as he watched Hukum leave the room with a confidence that bordered on arrogance, he knew that a decision would have to be made—and soon. For better or for worse, the fate of his family now rested in his hands.