Chapter 12: New Found Resolve

Damodar Kulkarni, Chitra Kulkarni, and Janaki Kulkarni waited anxiously as Aditee arrived home. Seeing her walk in, they exchanged concerned glances, knowing she had been out with Hukum.

"Aditee, beta, from where are you coming?"

"Are you okay, Aditee? Tum theek ho?"

"Aditee, humein bas tujhe samjhaana tha ki Hukum ke saath jyada der tak rehna theek nahi hai. Woh thoda risky insaan hai." (Aditee, we just wanted to let you know that Hukum is a dangerous man to be around. You should tread carefully.)

Aditee took a deep breath, trying to maintain her composure. "Mummy, Baba, Janaki, main samajh rahi hoon ki aap log chinta kar rahe hain, lekin sach to yeh hai ki Hukum jaise insaan se kuch hone ka koi khatra nahi hai. Aur aaj tak maine hamesha sabki bhalayi ke baare mein hi socha hai. Kya maine kabhi socha tha sirf khudke baare mein? Nahi na. Ab mujhe bhi apne faislon ke liye sochne ki zarurat hai." ( Mummy, Baba, Janaki, I know you are worried for me, but their is no danger in being with Hukum. And up till date I have always thought about others. Did I ever think about my benefit? No, right? So, let me decide for myself this time.)

Her words hung in the air, a mix of determination and defiance. With that, she walked past them and headed to her room, leaving her family to contemplate her newfound resolve.

Aditee entered her room, bubbling with excitement from her date with Hukum. She couldn't contain her joy and shouted out loud, reliving the moments in her mind. Afterward, she headed to the bathroom to freshen up.

As she returned, her phone began to ring with Seema's name flashing on the screen. Eager to share the details of her date, she answered the call. Before she could even greet her, Seema's voice burst through the line, "Jaldi bata kya hua date pe". (Tell me fast, what happened on the date?)

"Batati hu, batati hu," Aditee replied with a laugh, not wanting to keep her friend waiting. She recounted their activities, carefully avoiding any mention of the romantic moments, knowing Seema would tease her endlessly. (Okay. Okay.)

After their call ended, there was a knock on her door. "Come in," Aditee called out. Janaki entered, and Aditee affectionately called her "Janu." Janaki laid on the bed, resting her head on Aditee's lap.

Aditee leaned down and kissed her baby sister's forehead, a gesture of love and reassurance. Janaki, feeling emotional about her elder sister leaving the house, expressed her concerns. 

"Adi didi, tum yahaan se chali  jaaogi.," Janaki's voice wavered, "mujhe kaise chhod kar jaaogi?" (Adi didi, you will go from here now. How can you leave me?)

Aditee's heart melted at her sister's vulnerability. "Janu, mere pyaare chhoti behen," she said softly, "chahe main kahin bhi ho, main hamesha tumhare paas hi rahungi. Bas ek phone call door hai. Kabhi bhi mujhe yaad karna." (Janu, my dear sister. Wherever I might be, I will always be with you. Just a call away. I will always be there for you.)

They both found solace in each other's company, sharing stories and memories until they drifted off to sleep, wrapped in the warmth of their bond.