𝐻𝑜𝑚𝑒 𝑆𝑤𝑒𝑒𝑡 𝐻𝑜𝑚𝑒

𝑂𝑛𝑖𝑘𝑎

"Mom, I can guarantee that I'll be just fine

"Mom, I can guarantee that I'll be just fine. You don't have to worry, I know what I'm doing," I twisted my key in the lock and opened the door. Taking a breath, I stepped into my home and smiled softly as the memories came right back to me. "I'm just starting all over again."

"I know, that's why I'm calling. You haven't lived in Texas since she left, and you know exactly why." My mother reminded me of my unfortunate past, causing me to scrunch my face from the mention of such events and the people who caused them, "I'm just saying, do not hesitate to call if things get out of hand."

"It shouldn't, I had that woman's grandchild after all. Not to mention I haven't seen her face nor have I gone around the house to check in. I don't need her acknowledgment, you know that."

Stepping back out onto the porch, I kept an eye out for Kaia. She ran around in those little boots she begged me for. They were pink with tassels and little rhinestones. She adored them.

She was occupied with the horses, talking to them as if they could understand a word she was saying.

Just like her mom.

Everything about Kaia reminded me of her mother, from that damn eyebrow to the tips of her toes. I had no part besides her hair it seems.

"I will be stopping by the church soon, to see the Reverend. To thank him for taking care of this place while I was gone." I said, taking a seat on the steps. "Not to mention Robyn and Lauren are coming by."

"I thought Robyn hated the countryside?"

"Unfortunately for her, she has no choice." I laugh, watching as a car pulled up beside mine. Rolling my eyes, I shook my head because I knew it was my bougie ass friends. "They're here, Mommy. I'll check back in with you tonight after dinner. I love you lots." I kissed into the phone, listening to her chuckle warmly at me and my happiness.

"Alright then, we'll talk. I love you more." Hanging up, I stood and went over to the Range that was just about the same height as the old truck next to it.

Lauren climbed out first and rushed over to hug me. I returned the embrace, warmth engulfing me. She was just as happy to be here as I was. I loved this place with all my heart and she knew that so she loved it, too. "Everything is so beautiful here, oh my gosh. And the house is so much bigger than I thought. How did you and Bey— I mean how'd y'all live here all alone for so long?" She stopped herself from saying a name that yearned to roll off of the tip of everyone's tongue for the last four years.

I couldn't lie, I was urged to say it the moment my feet landed on the soil of this state. I just felt her all around, but I could barely hold myself together as is.