𝑆𝑤𝑒𝑒𝑡 𝑃𝑒𝑎

𝑂𝑛𝑖𝑘𝑎

When dawn broke the following morning, she was still in my bed

When dawn broke the following morning, she was still in my bed. With her blonde hair splayed over my pillow, she looked almost ethereal. Like a real-life haunting, with her turmoil contained only in sleep.

With my elbows resting on my sweatpants-clad thighs, I hunched over and stared at my untouched cup of coffee, while I feared for the moment those eyelids would flutter open and those amber eyes would morph into self-destruct mode.

On the other side of my bedroom door, I could hear my daughter pottering around and guilt swarmed me. This was hard. It felt like I was hiding something when that was not true. I just didn't know how to explain to my child that this was her mom. Even though they know nothing of each other.

Though she didn't remember, she acted the same with me. She still had that glorious smile and that intense stare. She still wanted me, even in this state. Other than her mind being out of sorts, her body took kindly to me. The way she held me felt as though we never parted. Call it muscle memory.

Carefully, I stood from the bed, bringing my coffee to my lips. It was still quite early, the sun had only risen halfway since the first light and yet, Kaia was wide awake with no intention of going back to sleep.

I slipped out of my room after writing a small note for Beyoncé to find me after she'd woken up and leaving a toothbrush for her to use. Kaia rushed to me, hugging my legs. "Good morning, Momma!" She giggled as I kneeled to her level.

"Good morning, marigold. How did you sleep?" I scooped her up in one arm, carrying her downstairs in hopes she doesn't wake Beyoncé before I'm able to make breakfast for everyone.

"I slept good. I dreamed about riding the ponies again. Can I ride them again today, Momma?" She gave me her most convincing puppy dog eyes, but I just couldn't help myself from disagreeing.

"You remember what happened last time, Kai. I think you should wait until the summer. How about for your birthday, baby?" I asked, placing her on the counter and my empty mug in the sink.

Kaia looked at me like I was crazy. It didn't matter to me though. She almost fell off of that damn horse, and as much I brushed it off because of her hysterics, I was still worried.

"Momma–"

"Mm mm, you will not be riding for the rest of spring, Kaia. I'll get you lessons this summer–"

"Or I could teach her," Kaia and I both looked up in the direction of the stairs. Beyoncé stood there, stretching her arms out above her head. Her shirt rose, revealing her tone silhouette underneath the loose fabric and the grey sweats did nothing besides make me look away. "O-only if y'all want." She sputtered, quickly putting her arms down, realizing what she'd done.

I shook my head dismissively, "oh, no, I couldn't make you did that. I'm sure you're busy–" I turned to Kai and frowned at the mean ass mug on her face. I snapped my fingers in front of her to catch her attention, but she was so focused on trying to intimidate Beyoncé it didn't work.