𝑅𝑖𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑑𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑒

𝑂𝑛𝑖𝑘𝑎

I place the money on his desk, shotgun in hand and demeanor not wavered

I place the money on his desk, shotgun in hand and demeanor not wavered. August stares at me for a moment, then he chuckled. The man grabbed the stack of paper money and counted it out loud for his partners to hear. They began to surround me, so I clutch my gun and held my head high.

"That's only a quarter of what ya wife owes me..." he slowly stood, placing his hands on the desk. "And from what I hear that farm of yours ain't been doin too good. Doubt you'll make much profit by time ya start ya harvest."

"You don't know that." I spoke loud and clear. "You know not a damn thing about my wife or the farm she left to me! So you shut your damn mouth and take your money. Leave me the hell alone."

He hummed, eyeing me and walking around his desk. The man toward over me, but I didn't let it faze me. I sized him and he began to laugh. "Feisty lil doll, ya don't wanna mess with me. I'll burn all that shit down, you an' ya lil friends right along with it."

For the first time since I walked in here, fear made its presence known. I shifted on my legs and blinked back tears. I had to figure out how to get this money and quick, but the last thing on my mind was selling myself out just to pay off a debt I'm positive Beyoncé had no clue about.

"You sound like you're backing out of your own deal, August," I eyed him, his all black leather attire contrasting with my white dress with blue embroidered flowers. He eyed me as well, biting down on his bottom lip and lifting a hand to my waist. "Do you want your money or not?" I stop myself from making a sudden move, seeing as though I am outnumbered.

"I can think of somethin' far better than money... you ain't never been with a real man before, sweetheart. Lemme show ya what it's like." He tries to pull me into him, but I pushed him off.

"I'd rather die!" I spat, lifting my gun and aiming at his face.

"That can be arranged," he chuckled stepping closer until the barrel was pressed tightly against his forehead. "But I'd much rather have you to myself. See, I'm a generous man, Onika. I'ma give ya some extra time to get my money, or honey you better believe you'll be hollerin' to the lord late on a Sunday night."

A heavy breath fell from my lips as I take the gun off safety. He grinned, "if ya shoot me, you ain't no better than me."

I let his words echo in the back of my mind, knowing deep down that I would only do it to protect my child from his bullshit, but how can I protect Kaia if I get caught with his blood on my hands.

Fuck.

I put my gun back on safety and lowered it, with a huff I turned around and marched out. I quickly got in my truck and drove off, tears welled up in my eyes. I was going to fail. I know for a fact I can't get this money. The time isn't right and nothings been growing.

The farm probably won't make any profit this year so there was no point in trying.

I pulled up to the house and sat in the truck until my tears had dried. I rest my head against the steering wheel and sighed. "What the hell am I gonna do now?"