H' & Thirty Eight: Home Sweet Home (Part 4)

Follow me on Instagram for story-related updates, some creative content and to rant your heart out - handle is- suganthii.writes

--

"How'sTai? I don't have her contact details.", Xavier mumbled, eating his favorite meal of soft Phulkas with Bharli Vangi, "Ohh... Aai, khup chaveesht!", he couldn't stop himself from complimenting his Aai for making him a tasty lunch.

"Akanksha's good.", Mukesh replied, eating his last bite of Puran Poli, "Life's good for her in the Netherlands."

"She's coming to India for a vacation after New Year...", Sonali sighed slightly before adding, "...with that woman."

"Not that woman, Aai, her name is Daisy.", Samiksha interjected, "How long are you going to be resentful about it?"

"She left her husband to live with this... Daisy woman."

Krithika knew a bit about the eldest Agnihotri daughter, but she wasn't aware that Aai had held bitterness against her firstborn for so long.

She wanted to put her thoughts out, "Aunty, sorry to interject. I don't know how much is your understanding of the LGBTQ+ community, and I am too young to preach anything to you but...", she sadly shrugged, "Imagine your life being nothing but an act to please everyone in society or worst, scared to be true to yourself. You aren't allowed to love or live the way you want to. That's a terrible life to live, that's how some people have lived and died without acknowledging their true identity for years."

"She has a kid with her ex-husband.", Sonali clicked her tongue, "I am not against her wish to live her life the way she wants, I have supported my kids throughout. Iksha married a Singh boy; I might have resisted initially, but once Krishna proved to be the right man for my baby I didn't hold her back... Xavier had a divorce; I was upset- obviously- but I wasn't sore for the reason that he would be called a divorcee and that's some stupid shameful title in our society. No, not at all. I was worried for his well-being, I have always imagined him leading a happy life.", her vision started to blur, "But as a mother, Akanksha has been nothing but irresponsible. I didn't raise my children to be reckless fools. My lovely child- Amogh- has been suffering because of her decisions."

Krithika had no reply to that confrontation. She could make sense of that; it wasn't about homophobia but the concern for her grandchild that poisoned her love for Akanksha.

An uncomfortable silence followed after the outburst of Aai.

"Tai has divorced Bhauji but she is always there for Amogh.", Samiksha nudged Xavier, "We all are also there for him, even Xav calls and talks to him regularly, right?"

Xavier choked, coughing lightly he added to Samiksha's consoling attempt, "Yeah, I called Bhauji last month and spoke to Amogh too.", he sipped water trying to soothe his burning throat, "He claimed that when he grows up to be a big boy he wants to become a doctor like Iksha.", he gave a doubtful smile, trying his best to cheer up Aai.

"My baby!", Sonali sniffed as Mukesh tried to calm her.

They ate in silence.

--

"What about your siblings?", Aai asked Krithika, her hands busy feeding Dhriti her baby food.

"I have a younger brother, he's studying engineering.", she replied, praying to her Muruga for the conversation to take a diversion to anything and not lead to the road of her lineage.

Aai hummed, "Where do your parents live? Aren't they here today to see you? I heard today is Karthik Deep, it is an important festival for you guys, right?", there were too many questions bombarded at once and Krithika squeaked in acknowledgment.