•Chapter 18•

A Haunting Memory

A Haunting Memory

Normal - Present
Italic - Dream/highlighted mention

"You useless puppet!" I felt my arm being slashed by a sword. A bloody cut appeared on my arm as it trickled down.

I kept my gaze down, not wanting to make eye contact with my fellow creation. Or I could say, my sister. I kneeled down as she held my aunt's weapon tightly, some blood staining it's blade.

"Not only are you weak, but you are too emotional! You thought Inazuma would want a ruler like that? " She spat out. I could feel her sharp gaze piercing through my body.

Questions kept repeating in my mind. 'Am I truly a puppet?' Is what I hear inside my head. I want to prove it, yet how..? How will I be able to prove it if I act so emotional right now?

I don't even know if this is just a dream.. It feels like reality. It feels like something that actually happened in my life. But I don't seem to remember. The only memory I have is my mother abandoning me in the middle of nowhere.

I feel my lips parting from each other and my vocal chords shaking. "I-i'm.. So.. S-sorry.." I stuttered out.

It seems my sister wasn't amused by my answer. She held the blade tightly, moving it so that the tip was on my forehead. "Apologies won't do anything for you. It's either you do your duty, or perish." She sternly said, which I nodded out of reflex.

Soon enough, the feeling of the blade slowly disappeared, along with my sister. The room became empty, with only me in it. I raised my gaze and slowly stood straight.

"S-shogun?" I stupidly called my sister, but I received no reply. Suddenly, a mirror appeared before my eyes. I was taken aback, but soon regained my composure.

I looked into my own reflection, seeing a different appearance of mine. I wore a simple purple kimono, and a hairpin of a flower and fan in my hair. My hair was long, it was similar to my mother's hairstyle.

This was my old appearance, before my creator abandoned me. I don't know her intentions of creating me, and I never dared to ask. The longer I stared, the more I felt pity for my old self.

I saw my reflection morph into a different form. It was my present self. A shadow casted over the image's eyes, as I continue to stare in shock.

"W-who are y-you?" I felt myself sputter out. The image of my present self just stood there, till it finally spoke.

"I am, you." She finally answered. The shadow soon faded from her face and I could see her eyes. Those (e/c) orbs looked into mine's. They held no emotion.