8.

Thelma's pov

With a sharp sigh Marquez gets up from my bed to exit my room, the sting of his betrayal still fresh on my skin. When he turned back towards me, desperate to salvage something from our encounter, I felt a surge of anger rising within me.

"No!" I exclaimed, my voice quivering with emotion as I recoiled from his touch. With a swift motion, I raised my hand and delivered a sharp slap across his cheek, echoing in the room like a thunderclap.

He stumbled back, his hand flying to his cheek in shock as he recoiled from the force of my blow. For a moment, he seemed taken aback by my defiance, his expression a mixture of hurt and indignation.

But I was not done. "Johncrow, just go 'bout your business and leave, you hear?" I spat, my voice trembling with anger and hurt. With a final glare, I turned away from him, my eyes burning with unshed tears.

Marquez stepped out of the room, I slammed the door shut behind him, the sound reverberating through the empty hallway like a final verdict. Leaning against the door, I let out a choked sob, the weight of my emotions crashing over me like a tidal wave.

In that moment of solitude, I felt a pang of sympathy for Julia, a woman caught in the crossfire of her husband's infidelity. As tears streamed down my cheeks, I wondered what Julia must be going through, alone in her pain and betrayal.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door. I thought it was him but a very angry Valerie spoke. I knew why she was here and my inner child got scared but I'm 18 to 19 years old now I can't keep letting her bully me into doing something just for her benefit.

I swung open the door and realized Marquez was standing there with her. "You a eidiot?!" She exclaimed and I rolled my eyes. "Maybe." She told Marquez to leave and as soon as he went into his room she slapped me across the face. I stumbled back and I hit right back.

"I'm not 10 years old anymore Valerie. Since you want to survive why don't you go sleep with him?"

She stood there frozen and chuckled. "Because he told me he wanted a virgin something to feel that isn't used." I gasped at her words stepping back and she stepped inside and closed my door.

Valerie's words sank in, a mixture of shock and disgust twisted in my gut. I couldn't believe what I was hearing – the betrayal ran even deeper than I had imagined. Marquez's callousness knew no bounds, and Valerie's complicity in his deception only added insult to injury.

"you did know?" I whispered, my voice trembling with disbelief. "You did know what him a plan, and you went along with it?"

Valerie's expression hardened, her features devoid of remorse as she met my gaze head-on. "me did what I had to do to survive," she replied coldly, her tone laced with bitterness. "And if you had any damn sense, you would do the same."

I recoiled from her words, the sting of her betrayal cutting deep. "I won't be a pawn in your games, Valerie," I spat, my voice laced with defiance. "me refuse to sacrifice my dignity for your selfish desires."

She scoffed at my words, a derisive smirk playing on her lips. "Dignity won't put food on the table, Thelma," she retorted, her voice dripping with contempt. "You're just as naive as ever if you think otherwise."

Anger flared within me at her callous dismissal of my principles, my resolve hardening with each passing moment. "I may not have much, but I have my integrity," I declared, my voice ringing with conviction. "And I refuse to compromise it for anyone – especially not for the likes of Marquez."

Valerie's eyes narrowed at my words, a flicker of annoyance crossing her features. "Suit yourself," she muttered, her tone dismissive as she turned to leave. "But don't come crying to me when you realize that integrity won't keep you warm at night."