Chapter Twenty-Three

When I went to the other heroes with my plan, a majority of them thought I was crazy. Aizawa commented on how little I've changed since high school, Endeavor admonished my over eagerness, and Hawks recommended I let someone else, anyone else, handle the rescue this time. It took a lot of convincing on my part, especially when it came to the whole trusting Rihito bit, but after a few hours of back and forth, I was finally able to convince a team to come together for the mission. Rihito didn't know where Juro took Bakugo right after the fight, but he knew where they would be and exactly three days later, I find myself lying awake just before dawn, staring at my ceiling as anxiety makes my stomach cramp. Today's the day...

Lying here alone, I can't help obsessing over the plan for today. There are more of us going in than should be reasonable, but all of us know what Bakugo is capable of and, right now, he's not himself enough to recognize he's fighting friends. He won't hold back... I roll over on my side, trying to remember why I'm doing this and what I'm fighting for. I can't remember being this close to Bakugo, but I couldn't abandon him now if I tried. Something inside me keeps twisting and pulling me closer to him, like an instinct or muscle memory, it feels like something I can't fight against no matter how hard I might try and it's even more insistent now that he's gone. I sit up, the unsettling anticipation gnawing at my gut, and I throw off my covers, knowing I won't be able to sleep. We won't have long once everything is set into motion, so I push myself to get ready for the day, forcing breakfast down and getting dressed as quickly as I can. Black jumpsuit and boots, wrist bands and... my mask... when I lift it up and place it over my eyes, I feel like I'm being sucked back in time.

...Look, Katsuki! We match.

Don't sound so excited. Lots of heroes wear masks...

I think we look cute...

I shake my head, blinking at myself in the mirror and brushing my fingertips against the material of the mask. Am I remembering? I try to grasp the memory and pull it to the forefront of my mind, try to picture his face or the way I might've been looking at him, but nothing appears. Damn it... I leave my bedroom and walk out into the living room, too wound up to turn on the TV and wishing I had a gym here to distract myself. I hate this part... the waiting part.

Knock, knock, knock.

I look up, eyes first glancing at the clock in the kitchen to see that it's only five in the morning, then flicking to the door in puzzled suspicion. I'm not expecting anyone for another three hours... I walk up to the door anyway and open it slowly, surprised to see Shoto standing outside, coffee in hand. Warmth blooms in my chest and I feel just the faintest bit of calm settle over me.

"I figured you'd be up already" he tells me, offering me one of the paper cups. I take it gratefully and open the door wider to let him inside. Once he clears into the kitchen, I shut the door behind us and follow him, absorbing all the heat I can from the cup in my hands.

"You know me too well" I half tease, but I know Shoto can hear the tension in my voice. He gives me an understanding look, a small tired smile on his face.

"I should after all this time" he replies and I scoff a bit, a hint of a laugh in my voice before taking a sip of my coffee. I close my eyes, savoring the sweetness. Not too light, lots of sugar... my favorite.

"This is so messed up" I murmur, opening my eyes again. Shoto raises an eyebrow, the two of us leaning against opposite counters now.

"Which part exactly?" he wonders and I shake my head, thinking about all the drama over the last month. Forgetting Bakugo and bombarding Shoto with these sudden underlying feelings.