Chapter 8: Liar

Angel Pov:

I can't remember if I ever really ate with anyone, after all, no one ever sat next to me voluntarily. It was always the looks of the other children... No, even Miss Delight. Everyone looked at me as if I was nothing more than garbage, dirt just waiting to be taken away... And later simply disposed of.

But now that I'm sitting here on the couch next to DogDay, I see things very differently, Now... Everything will be different. Picky keeps getting up from the couch to bring the 'Critters' their plates. After the first two, Crafty also gets up and helps. And now I'm sitting there, on a long couch with six people next to me, and there's this constant silence... 'Should I say something?' I think about whether there's anything I can say at all...

"So... Y/N Right?"

"Y-Yes" I answer much too quietly and Bubba looks at me for a few seconds. I think he didn't really understand me, I should repeat myself-

"What is all this down here?" What? Why is he asking me now?

"Hey Bubba, give him some more time. He still needs to settle in here"

"N-no it's okay" I finally manage to stop stuttering, but should I really speak directly now? I look slowly at DogDay and she smiles at me again... With her bright eyes and perfect-

CatNap? I almost didn't see it, but looking slowly away from DogDay I can see her... She stares at me It's not a normal look though, it's much worse than Kickin or Hoppy. It's that look... The look when you're playing with your food. She's not like CatNap from here, is she? Oh no, I have to-

"Y/N here!" I startle slightly and look at who has spoken to me so loudly. It was Picky, she put a plate with some kind of transparent red liquid on it. There were also a few pieces floating in it... I think it was meat. After my flinch, I feel DogDay's Paw very slowly on my shoulder and I suddenly feel...safe. I was almost frightened by the touch again, but the very gentle touch of her soft paw calmed me down.

"All this down here... It's not supposed to be for children, is it?" Shit, the word children brings back memories... The whole thing down here, all the corpses.

I don't answer at all... out of panic. I stare down at this food, frozen, hoping that no one can see me. I do my best to just hold back the tears that threaten to come out. My body feels like I'm freezing to death. *I have that fear again*

"Hey Y/N it's okay... no one will hurt you anymore..." She tries to calm me down again... I try to pull myself together and look up. Everyone is staring at me again, but not because I'm about to start crying... They want to know the answer to Bubba's question. I'm not important

"But... All of this... It was made for Those children." I look at Bubba and realize, even if only very slightly, that tears are slowly flowing through my eyes. But I wipe them away with my arm and just look at the food again. After all, I haven't even started yet and as far as I can see, two of them have already finished eating.

"Those children? What for-

"Bubba that's enough" DogDay divorces him in between and I'm grateful to her for that. I don't think I could have answered the question well anyway. At least not without breaking down in tears.