Chapter Seven

Mia

He wrapped his arms around me for a long hug. I exhaled. It had been a while since I had seen him and Lisa, and I had missed them.

"I missed you too, Jarrod," I responded.

The subject of Ashton hadn't been brought up much because I had avoided it. However, it had been five years since our separation, so I felt that Jarrod wanted to talk about it.

"You seem happy, Mia. And that makes me glad," he said.

"Thank you, Jarrod. I am happy. There were some challenges, but I'm relieved with how things have worked out," I said, smiling.

Jarrod cleared his throat and fidgeted, indicating his discomfort with the impending conversation.

"Out with it, Jarrod," I said firmly.

"I know you're happy and everything, I'm just - I'm just um -" he stumbled.

"Go ahead and speak up, Jarrod. If this is related to Ashton, just share what's on your mind," I encouraged.

He sighed and agreed.

"I've gotten back in touch with Ashton. He quit football after you left and started working at his father's company. He's pushing himself too hard and has been drinking a lot recently," he shared.

I nodded. He was very passionate about football and had always refused to join his father's business.

"I was wondering if you were going to tell him about Riley. After all, Riley is four now. As a father myself, I would hate to miss out on my child's life, let alone not know about having one out there," Jarrod said.

This time, I sighed. I had been expecting him to bring up this matter soon, so I was ready to talk about Ashton once again.

"I know you don't think I'm aware, but I feel guilty about it every day. What he did hurt me, and I wasn't myself for a while, Jarrod. I kept thinking that if I didn't have to talk about him, I wouldn't have to think about him. I see his face everywhere, especially when I look at my son. He is a reminder that Ashton was once my whole world."

A warm tear ran down my cheek. It had been a while since I had shed tears. I was surprised when Jarrod embraced me. I hadn't realized I needed this until I started crying into his chest.

He held me for what felt like a very long time, reassuring me that I would be okay and that he would always be there for me. It was exactly how Jarrod had always been. The best brother a girl could have asked for.

"I'm sorry, Jarrod," I said as I tried to wipe some of the moisture off his shirt.

"You needed it, Mia. It's good to shed a tear once in a while," he said, tucking my hair behind my ear and kissing my forehead.

"I'm worried about him, Mia. He's changed. He doesn't talk to me anymore. We used to discuss a lot of things, but now he's closed off, always angry. He's turned into a - excuse my language, but he's a real dick now."

I was surprised by what I was hearing. Ashton had never behaved this way before. He had always been emotionally open. He was a big softie.

"If he's really a dick now, what makes you think our son could change him?" I asked.

"Mia, he's always been in love with you. Bringing a child into his life could help bring him back to us. He's lost. He's been lost since you left."

I stared at my hands, struggling to let go of my feelings for Ashton. Even after five years, thoughts of him still lingered in my mind, and I wondered about his well-being and whether he had moved on. I tried not to care.

"I just can't forgive him. In one night, he managed to shatter our world."

"I understand. He has never mentioned that night since it happened. He's kept it inside and refused to talk to anyone about it. Charlotte is concerned," he explained.

"And how is Charlotte?" I inquired.

"She's doing well. She wants to meet her grandson. I told her, Mia. She knows how you feel and assured to give you space until you're prepared, but she's keen to meet him."

"You told her?!" I cried out.

"Mia," he moaned.

"Jarrod!" I exhaled.

"She deserves to be in the loop. You'll be returning to Brisbane in two months, Mia. There will be numerous chances for her to see you and Riley, and naturally, she'll recognize that he's Ashton's son. Riley closely resembles him."

"Thank you, Jarrod," I said wearily, massaging my temples.

"I'm sorry, Mia. I didn't intend to say that. It's not my place, but I've said it and now I can't take it back. He needs help. Everyone is trying, but no one is making progress," he sighed.

"Okay." I sighed.

He nodded, looking relieved.

"I'm glad I got that off my chest. It's been bothering me for a while," he explained.

"Now I'm stressed because you said something you shouldn't have," I groaned, leaning on the counter.

"Why couldn't you let me continue in my ignorance a little longer, Jarrod? You're always a party pooper," I complained.

He laughed and leaned on the counter, his arm touching my shoulder.

"That's just how we men are," he said.

I laughed and turned to face him. "Aren't you a gentleman?"

We both laughed until Lisa walked in, smiling.

"Great job with the fairy bread, guys," she laughed.

"We worked hard and deserved a smoko," I said, chuckling.

"Yeah, right, just in here gossiping about the new girl Leah without me. You owe me for that, Jarrod," she said, seeking comfort from him.

"She can't be that bad, sweetheart," he said, wrapping his arm around her and kissing her hair.

"Can she?" He looked at me, questioning.

"She's a good friend, guys. She's been there for me since I met her."

I lifted the tray of fairy bread from the counter.

"I'll take these out. Leah might be wondering why it's taking so long."

Lisa chuckled and motioned towards the backyard.

"Don't worry about her. She's playing host out there."

"Sure, sure," I responded as I opened the door to step outside. To my surprise, she was indeed doing just that.

She stood there, holding Riley in her arms, conversing with all my friends and family members. It bothered me a little, but I shrugged it off and headed towards the table, placing the tray down.

"Who's up for some fairybread?" I announced, catching everyone's attention. After wiping my hands on my jeans, I walked over to Leah, extending my hands towards Riley.

"Thanks, Leah," I said with a smile, trying to shake off whatever negative feelings I had toward her.