Chapter-5

Everything is a disaster. The closet is full of cheap shirts, cheap slacks, cheap sweaters, and cheap imitation leather shoes - everything that Mingyu hates and despises. 

Mingyu has another interaction with Minjee which basically is all about a prolonged eye contact after which she runs away as if she saw a monster.

And now at the party. Wonwoo made Mingyu carry the casserole that smells delicious (Wonwoo has never been a good cook, it only proves how crazy this universe is) and then right after stepping through the household ditched him for a group of omegas, one of them being Jeonghan, Mingyu recognizes.

The Christmas carols sound in the background, people are laughing and talking in every corner and Mingyu just wants to disappear. He's standing by the table where he found the same scotch Joshua poured him earlier and contemplates if getting drunk is a good idea.

Probably not, but it's also the only thing the alpha craves right now. Blackout and hopefully wake up in the right world.

"Mingyu-ah, hello."

Mingyu sighs and turns around, to stand face to face with a fairly pretty omega. She's wearing a tight, red dress, a bit too strong makeup, and a bit too fancy hairdo for a Christmas house party in a neighborhood of Jersey.

"Hi," he nods and is about to go back to his glass but she stops him with a hand on his arm. He raises an eyebrow and notices with a surprise that she blushes.

"Merry Christmas," when he doesn't answer, only smiles lips tight, she continues, "So, do you like the dress?"

Mingyu is getting confused. What exactly does she want from him? He peeks discreetly at Wonwoo, to see him stealing glances at them but doesn't intervene. Before his silence gets too long and might be considered rude, he finally utters, "It's lovely."

"I thought I saw you noticed it at the kids' recital," she squeezes his biceps with a bright smile and while normally he might be interested in a bit of flirting, today he's definitely not in a mood.

"It's lovely," he repeats politely while grabbing his glass and walking away.

"Gyu, come here," Joshua's voice calls for him from the other side of the room, and actually Joshua's company might not be the worst right now .

So Mingyu goes there and joins the circle of alphas discussing basketball and he needs to bite his tongue to not comment on it in a harsh way. They are clearly fans, so he probably should as well but he has no respect for The Nets and he's too tired to pretend. It's been a long day and he just wants to get back to his apartment in New York and forget about everything that happened today.

"Seungcheol, you lucky bastard," one of the alphas suddenly pats the other. "You do the honors of a host this year and now you are free for like seven years before it's your turn."

"Don't try to cut the line, Jackson, the whole list is already decided and we are next with Susanna," another stranger speaks and everyone chuckles.

"Yeah, Vicky keeps complaining that she got that spot only because she played dirty."

And they keep talking about other people Mingyu has no idea about. He figures that Seungcheol is Jihoon's mate, the omega Wonwoo was babbling about on their way here and Mingyu can recall seeing the rest in the photos of Joshua's room wall but it's not enough to feel in any way like a part of the group, of the bros. Which apparently they are.

Joshua continues to give Mingyu worried looks, but nobody else seems to notice how silent he is. Perhaps his new buddy informed them that he is, in fact, not himself, or perhaps this is the universe in which Mingyu exists, or perhaps they choose to overlook him because they are kind individuals who recognize that anybody can experience terrible days.