Chapter- 7

Mingyu makes it to his new workplace after some difficulties, but he'd really prefer he didn't. The building as a whole is absolutely horrible. It's not much better inside, and it's garish and disgusting.

Everyone greeted him, some asked questions about stock, about the sales plan, and even Taejoon reached out to him in the first three minutes to get a confirmation on their supply capacity. He answered every single request with a promise to get back to them with answers as soon as possible. He doesn't know how he's gonna be able to do that but right now he just wants to get to his office and finally be alone. Because he has his own office right? He has to...

Thankfully he indeed finds the door with his name on it and that's a second relief that day. Almost as good as a new alliance with Minjee.

He takes in the room, after closing the door. It's... tiny. At least three times smaller than his real office, without floor-to-ceiling windows, leather sofa and matching armchairs, bar with expensive and classy alcohol, mahogany desk or an ergonomic, leather desk chair...

What he sees instead are walls covered with kids' drawings, photo frames, a tiny desk with a phone, a tire-themed calendar, and a figurine of a bowler. He winces but sits down, going through drawers, hoping to find something that will help him figure out how the fuck is he supposed to work here for the time being.

The documents and notes do little to nothing to help him but in the bottom drawer, he spots a fairly decent scotch. At last.

"You must've needed it every day," he murmurs to himself and pours the alcohol into one of the paper cups that were hidden together with a bottle. He drinks in a silent condolence for the other Mingyu.

He musters the guts to examine the picture frames more closely after having a couple of drinks. There's only one family photo on the desk, taken not long after Jihwan was born. Wonwoo is holding the child, and even in the picture, you can see how much love he has for him. With one arm over the girl's legs and the other around Wonwoo's waist, Mingyu is carrying Minjee on his shoulders. He and Minjee both give the little child a wide smile.

Mingyu looks at the wall while turning around on a chair and clearing his throat. More pictures. He met a lot of alphas last night at the gathering, including several with Wonwoo and the children. The alpha finds it most annoying because the other Mingyu appears absurdly happy in each of them.

"What are you smiling about?" he asks angrily to the Mingyu seeming very happy in one of the pictures.

Given the abundance of boxes and wrapping paper on the floor and the fact that Mingyu, Wonwoo, and Minjee are all wearing similar pajamas with images of gingerbread men on them, it seems likely that the photo was shot on Christmas Day. When Mingyu flips the child practically upside down, she appears much younger—not much older than Jihwan is right now—but it's obvious that the girl is safe in his arms. He and Minjee are grinning so broadly that their eyes resemble narrow crescents. Wonwoo appears nearly identical to the picture on the desk. He was grinning a little, his love illuminating the entire scene.

Mingyu glances aside and lets out a shaking breath. Something catches his sight in the wall's far corner. "Mingyu Kim - E.F. Hutton #1 Junior Sales Associate 1988" is written on a little card. He hums. First of all, that other Mingyu at least accomplished something.

But suddenly something dawns on him, and he furrows his brows. "1988..." he says, reaching for the card and looking at it as though he's in a daze. "I was in London in 1988."

He glances at the Christmas picture once again. He says to the other Mingyu, "You never went to London," while he holds the photo in his other hand. "You never got on that plane..."

Wonwoo was able to persuade this Mingyu to stay in this universe. He has to give up all of his goals, aspirations, prospective profession, and assurances of a brighter future for them. For what purpose did this Mingyu really give up everything? Before working at "Big Joon's Tires," he was employed at E.F. Hutton. What a depressing exchange...

The alpha is scared half to death as the P.A. system kicks on. "Fuck!"

"Mingyu, you're needed at the shop, customer's waiting."