Chapter-16

With a pounding heart, the alpha finally gets to the bedroom and lingers in a doorway, observing his mate, reading in bed before sleep. Their bond is so real, pulsing through his veins, alive as his beating heart - how can it disappear just like that? It's not possible.

"Hey, baby," Mingyu whispers, to not startle his husband. When Wonwoo looks up with a smile, a sharp pain runs through his chest. "Could you please leave that for a moment?"

And of course, Wonwoo does just that. He puts the book away on the bedside table, giving Mingyu his undivided attention. A perfect mate.

"I know," the alpha starts, sitting down at the edge of the bed and taking Wonwoo's hand in his. "That during the last couple of weeks, I did some unusual, out-of-character things. But I've done some good things too, right?"

"You've been Kim Mingyu, that's always a good thing."

"I need you to remember me, Hyung. How I am right now, at this very moment. I need you to put that image in your heart and keep it there. Keep it with you no matter what happens."

"Are you okay?" Wonwoo scooches closer to Mingyu in concern.

"Yeah, yeah. Just-" Mingyu cradles Wonwoo's face in his hands tenderly. "Please just promise me. I love you so much and you have to promise me, Hyung, because if you don't, then it's like it never happened and I don't think I can live with that."

"I promise," the omega says right away, endless love swimming in his feline eyes.

"Promise me again."

Mingyu feels scrutinized under his husband's watchful gaze but he really needs what he's asking for. He needs Wonwoo to remember him. To separate these few weeks of their life and associate them with him.

"I promise."

They join their foreheads and hold this position for an extended period of time. If Mingyu had the last say on it, they wouldn't change. Perhaps simply with their children nestled in between them. Even though it was only a short existence, he wants to thank his Hyung for giving him the best life he could have ever had and to say more. Mingyu hopes to express his gratitude to Wonwoo for providing him with wonderful children, the best partner he could ask for, and a place to call home.

But Mingyu is at a loss for words, and even if he could, the lump in his throat would hinder him from speaking clearly. All he can do is hope that Wonwoo would be able to sense all of that.

He has to.

"Come to bed, Mingyu-ah," Wonwoo whispers, soothingly caressing Mingyu's upper arms.

"Not yet. Soon, I promise."

He has one more thing to do.

Lucy and Mingyu walk around the neighborhood trying to savor it. He reminisces about his time in this glimpse; days with his family, outings with new friends, evenings spent on uncovering more and more details of the other Mingyu's life. Mingyu hasn't thought about that guy for a while and he's never hated him more than in this moment.

The alpha feels even more depressed as they pass Joshua's house because he knows he won't be saying goodbye to any of his alpha gang members. Mingyu wishes he had at least thanked Joshua for keeping him from committing the most awful blunder of his life.

However, today is not his lucky day. As a result, Mingyu simply continues to stroll through the snow, reminiscent of that historic Christmas Eve night.

Mingyu chooses to sit on an armchair in the bedroom again. He can't resist his wolf's yearning to embrace Wonwoo once more. With the knowledge that it was his last night, Mingyu feels as though he would die if he did that.

He is attempting to ingrain the image of his mate in his mind so that he will never, ever forget it while he sits and watches Wonwoo in his sleep. As a result, Mingyu always has it with him. He silently promises his omega the same thing he requested Wonwoo to promise him.