8. Broken Brotherhood

"There's something missing, something that doesn't add up. I'm pretty sure they're hiding something," Jungkook said, his eyes fixed on the road ahead. He glanced sideways at the person sitting in the passenger seat, his mind racing with unanswered questions.

"Didn't you ask them how they knew who she was?" the man said, flipping through the case file. "And how did they find out the victim's whereabouts to abandon her in this place when they knew nothing about her?"

"Yes, I did ask, Jimin hyung," Jungkook replied, frustration evident in his tone. "They came up with something stupid, like they found out about her from her belongings, like her handbag and ID proofs. Her friend found her with these belongings, so I couldn't question that part. But there's something off about it, something that doesn't quite add up," he added, furrowing his brows in deep thought.

Jimin, who had been silently observing the younger man, finally spoke up. "So what if it doesn't add up? All we have to do is find someone to pin the blame on. It's not like you genuinely want to get justice for the victim," he remarked, his tone cynical.

Jungkook was taken aback by Jimin's sudden question, his expression momentarily betraying his inner conflict. Quickly regaining his composure, he shifted his demeanor. "But we have to understand what exactly happened. That's how we can manipulate the evidence and frame someone else, taking advantage of the circumstances," he explained, though he couldn't shake the feeling of discomfort that accompanied his words.

Jimin didn't miss the flicker of emotion on Jungkook's face, a rare glimpse of vulnerability that hadn't surfaced in a long time. Noting it with a faint sense of satisfaction, Jimin spoke up. "So, what's the plan today? Are we going to the police station?" He paused before adding with a hint of weariness, "You know, I'm tired. If you're going to work, then drop me home."

Jungkook said, "No, hyung. Taehyung hyng said there's a success party going on at Namjoon hyung's penthouse. It's been a while since we met everyone, so I thought, why not go? What do you say?"

Jimin nodded thoughtfully. "Yeah, it's been a really long time since we all met. I was planning to meet them tomorrow, but okay, let's go. But..." Jimin paused, looking at Jungkook with concern. "Will you be okay? Jin hyung will be there."

Jungkook's expression tightened for a moment before he forced a smile. "I'll be fine. We can't avoid each other forever, right?"

Jungkook sighed and continued, "It's okay. He'll just ignore me like always," the hurt evident in his voice despite his attempt to brush it off.

Jimin sighed heavily upon hearing Jungkook, feeling the weight of the unresolved tension between his friends. He couldn't take sides; both Jungkook and Jin had their reasons, and in their own ways, both were right.

Thirty-five minutes later, Jungkook and Jimin stood before the door of Namjoon's penthouse. They pressed the doorbell, and after a few moments, the door swung open.

As the door opened, the guy standing there looked surprised to see Jungkook and Jimin. Without a moment's hesitation, he stepped forward and pulled them into a bone-crushing hug. "I really missed you guys," he said, his voice filled with genuine warmth.

The two men just stood there and laughed, seeing the elder so worked up. Jimin managed to gasp out, "Hoseok hyung, I can't breathe!"

Jungkook also tapped hoseok shoulder as said "i cant breath too hyung just let us breath"

"Shut up, idiots. Why didn't you inform us that you guys are coming home?" Hoseok said, releasing the two men from his hug.

After releasing them, a wide grin spreading across his face. "Sorry, sorry! It's just been so long. Come in, you two. Everyone's here already."