10

Ross Lynch

'I didn't see Charlie for two whole weeks after that ordeal. She then came home, and we remained civilised & I took the guest room.

A part of me didn't want to throw all of this away, to end three years of love and possibly the female version of me. However, another side of me is tired. This side wants to move on, I'm only 27 so surely I can live my life before properly settling down.

I tried to approach her about this divorce, and she cut the conversation quickly, almost as if she didn't want me to try and change her mind. So, I gave up, because I get tired too.

Yet nobody seems to really care about how I feel.

Today was the dreaded day, and when I woke up today knowing that I was no longer going to be married to Charlie, I just wanted to fall into a deeper eternal again.

I came to pick her up around lunch time, and we drove to the place we were going to sign the papers that would officially separate us. Her hands were clasped together nervously, shades covering her eyes. I could however see the redness from a side angle.

For moments, I wanted to stop the car and beg her to not go ahead with this; then I also wanted to drive right off this bridge and end it all. But it was too late for both options.

She was dressed in a simple dress with some heels, hair down and straight like it has been the last few weeks. We walked side by side into the office-looking building. I stopped at the reception to ask for the lawyer who was going to be present whilst we signed the papers and this lady directed us to a room.

We stepped into the elevator and the door closed. "Charlotte"

"Yes?"

"Think about it"

"Not now, Ross. Please" she sounded physically drained, like she was going to collapse to the ground at any second.

We stepped out of the elevator towards the room, where this chubby man began a lecture on the procedure, and how everything worked.

"...have you guys established who is to blame for the divorce?" The man asked casually.

We both spoke in unison. "Me"

"No, me" Charlie repeated, stealing a glance at me. "It's my fault Aria died, and..I suggested this"

I slouched back in the chair, sighing.

"Alright" the man gave us two papers to sign with everything we agreed to split. "If I could just have you both signing here and then we are done?"

I hesitated, looking at Charlie who did the exact same. I touched her hand. "Charlotte-"

She pulled herself together, and signed the papers. I looked down, doing the same. We then handed back the papers which the lawyer collected.

"Well" he drummed his hands on the table. "You're divorced"

It wasn't one second that he said that and Charlie was out the door. She was stood outside, sobbing. I touched her arm, which evolved to a full hug.

"Ross, tell me two things" she said between sobs. "Promise me you'll be happy"

"Okay" I nodded quietly. "And the other thing?"

"Was I really never your 'happily ever after'?" She removed her sunglasses, puffy, bloodshot eyes meeting mine.

I released her slowly, then stiffened. "You were always my 'happily ever after'"

I gasped awake, the bed empty beside me. Faintly, I could hear the radio downstairs. That was my wake up call, and I will not let this go down the drain.

I slid on some sweatpants and ran downstairs, embracing Charlie in a great big hug. It was quite the gesture, seen as we haven't spoken since she walked out on me. She looked at me with wide eyes.

"Please, listen to me, babe" I began, and she smirked at my morning voice. "I love you, way more than anything I have or ever will have. I love you so much that my chest aches and my eyes water just trying to explain how much I love you. You are everything I want, compressed into a 5'4 package of giggles, cuteness and obscene humour. I don't give a fuck about what you said before; I refuse to leave without a fight, even if that means helping you with my bare hands, because I love you-"

She cut me off by giving me a hug. "You're all I need. Everything I need"