30

- Hanni Pham Pov -

- Hanni Pham Pov -

Yes, I'm a fucking liar, a betrayer, and I harbor no guilt, no fucking regrets.
Today is a special day, a day of twisted celebration—I'm actually happy for once.

It's my birthday.

6th October.

6th October, the day I was born.

And the day I mostly despise.

The day my world turned upside down, the day my life, my family, and everything I held dear changed forever.

~ 8 YEARS AGO ~

It was my birthday, a day I should have been looking forward to.
I was turning 13 on October 6th—a day that should have been special because it marked my birth.
But the day began with the usual scene of my parents embroiled in yet another heated argument, their voices echoing through the house.
Desperate to escape the turmoil, I quickly got on my bicycle and made my way to school.

My family had relocated to South Korea a year earlier, and I was still struggling to adapt to the new culture, the unfamiliar people, and, most challenging of all, the language.

I wasn't yet fluent in Korean, which created difficulties for me and drew unwanted attention.
My broken Korean accent charmed some of my classmates, particularly the boys, who found it cute.

But it also made me a target for ridicule. Some girls at school—mean girls, to put it bluntly—took pleasure in bullying me because I gained popularity quickly.
The boys fawned over me, and the teachers offered me extra help since I was new, but the girls mistook it as favoritism because of my family's wealth.

They were wrong, of course, but it didn't stop them from trying to make my life miserable.

"Look at you, rat," the leader of the gang—let's call her the pig—grunted, grabbing my hair and yanking me roughly towards her.
I gasped in pain, my body already soaked from being bullied earlier.
Instead of heading home to enjoy dinner with my parents, I found myself cornered in the school restroom, dealing with these tormentors.

"Why does everyone adore a rat-faced nobody like you? You're just an ugly bitch who can barely speak properly!" she taunted, her voice dripping with scorn.
I gritted my teeth, trying to control my anger.

"At least I'm not a pig like you and your lackeys, who look like they belong in a zoo. Actually, the zoo probably wouldn't even take you," I snapped back, my words dripping with contempt.

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise at my defiance.

My day had already been bad enough—starting with my parents' argument, and now these bullies were mad at me because the popular boy in class had wished me a happy birthday and given me a gift that they had been eyeing.