Part 5

Part 5

Shakuntala Devi welcomed Mini and Neil in the house after the marriage. As per the rituals Mini had to kick pot full of rice and then stepped with her right leg first. As Shakuntala was conservative and superstitious, she didn't come forward to do aarti of newly wed as she was widow. She sent one of her relative for the ritual. She herself was watching it from far standing near her room.

"Mini, now you have to kick this pot and enter in the home. "One aunty said to Mini. Mini was already nervous. Till the pheras her family members were also there who kept guiding her but here she was on her own. Naeembi's words now ringing in her ears, "Sasural jakar hamari naak mat katana." "Waha jo bhi kaha jaye chuchap kar dena bina sawaal kiye." "Faltu ki behas mat karna kisi se." Though she was rebellious and didn't believe in all this shit but she was new in this house full of strangers. She didn't know whom to trust and whom not. So she couldn't come in her usual fighter mode and show everyone their places. For today at least she had to do whatever they were saying. So she decided that she will not use her brain and do whatever they will ask. That's why when that aunty asked her to kick the pot Mini didn't bother to clear her doubt. She came in her action mode. She stepped back few steps back and came running to kick the rice pot with all her might. The pot flew in the air and directly landed on Shakuntala's head.

"Hayee re mar gayi! Isne toh aate hi mujhe maarne ki koshish shuru kar di. Mere to naseeb fut gaye." Shakuntala cried as she put her hand on her head where the pot hit her. Neil gasped and ran to be by his maa's side, "Maa, are you alright?" while the other people just started laughuing uncontrollably. "Arre ladki ye kya kar diya?" that aunty asked Mini. "You only said to kick the pot." Mini shrugged not getting what wrong she did and why everyone was laughing at her. "You have to kick it slowly just to spread the rice on the floor but you kicked it like football." Aunty explained. "Toh aapko ye pehle batana chahiye tha na." Mini replied back. The aunty was appalled by her audacity to answer back to elders instead of accepting her mistake.

Neil rubbed her maa's forehead and once he was assured that the injury was very minor he got up and came back. There he saw everyone was charging at his wife for making such mistake. He rushed to her rescue. "Enough chachi ji! She might be nervous...ho gayi ek chhoti si galti bas ab yahi khatam kijiye baat badhane ki jarurat nahi hai." Neil explained to calm down the aunties. "Did you see that Shaku? Neil took Mini's side and ignored your injury. Ye to sirf shuruaat hai...dekhna dheere dheere tumhara beta iske isharo par nachega." Saroj poisoned Shakuntala's ears.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mini somehow completed the other rituals. By the time she was done she was hell tired. She was taken to Neil's room which was decorated for their wedding night but Mini didn't even wait to appreciate the decorations, all she could see was a very nice comfortable bed and she threw herself on it instantly falling asleep.

Neil wanted to go to his room as soon as possible but his friends caught him then bored him for 2 hours with their unwanted advices on married life. Finally when he managed to get away from them he rushed to his room. He was excited, ever since Mini had said yes for the marriage he was dreaming about this night when he will get her all for himself and he will make love to her to his heart's content. He took a deep breath to calm his racing heart, "Control Neil...she is yours she will not go anywhere now...don't scare her away...be gentle with her." He resolved and opened the door of the room. Mini was sleeping on her stomach, sprawled diagonally on bed. Neil saw her and all his excitement evaporated seeing his sleeping bride. He sighed, "Poor girl...the functions must have took a toll on her...she must be tired." He thought and made her sleep properly. He noticed she didn't even cared to remove her jwellery. "She must be feeling uncomfortable by it." He thought and removed all her jwellery and kept it on the bedside table. He even opened the numerous pins on her saree so that it wont injure her and also the hairpins so that she could feel comfortable. He caressed her hair for sometime as he watched her sleeping form lovingly. He then kissed her on forehead, "Goodnight Minnu" he whispered and slept by her side.