Part 7

Part 7

"What? You want her to learn singing?" Shakuntala was shocked from this new demand her son has made before her. "Maa, don't overreact. Its just singing." Neil sighed. "Oberoi khandan ki bahu ye gaana vaana nahi sikhti agar use sikhna hi hai toh ghar ka kaam seekhe, cooking seekhe...aur bhi bahut kuch hai..." Shakuntala continued her rant. "Maa please, Minnu is different. She doesn't like any of these. She is a free bird. She is already making lots of compromises for this house and trying to fit in. Please, as a hobby, let her learn singing. I am sure it will bring out positive changes in her." Neil requested. "Neil, why you don't understand..." Shakuntala again tried to argue but Neil held her hands, "Maa, please...ok this is the last thing I am asking you for something. I promise from now on...aap jo kahengi wahi hoga." Neil pleaded. Shakuntala looked at him. She knew she lost the battle. She could never say no to her son when he pleads like this. "Fine, but this is the last time I am bowing down to your stubbornness." Shakuntala reminded him of his promise. "Thank you maa, you are the best." Neil hugged his mother happily and showed thumbs up to Mini who was listening to their conversation from outside, hiding behind the door. Mini smiled ear to ear, looking forward to improve her talent of singing under the guidance of teacher.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Mini, sing something. Let me hear you and decide where you are weak and where we need to focus more." An elderly man, a famous teacher from the best music school in Patiala was engaged to teach Mini at home as Shakuntala hadn't allow to go her to music school. But both Neil and Mini were ok with this arrangement as they were atleast getting Mini's wish fulfilled.

"What should I sing guruji?" Mini asked in confusion. "Anything...any sargam or any song of your choice. Music comes from one's heart. Close your eyes, find that tune and give words to it." Guruji answered with smile. Mini closed her eyes and after sometime started singing-

Is mod se jaate hain

Kuchh sust kadam raste

Kuchh tez qadam raahen

Pattharki haweli ko

Shisheke gharaundo men

Tinakonke nasheman tak

Is mod se jaate hain

Andhi ki tarah udkar

Ek raah guzarati hai

Sharamaati hui koi

Qadamon se utarati hai

In reshami raahon men

Ek raah to wo hogi

Tum tak jo pahunchati hai

Is mod se jaate hai

Neil smiled when he heard Mini's voice. He came down as if captivated by it. There he saw her from far not wanting to disturb her session with guruji. She seems so mature, calm; at peace when she is engrossed in singing otherwise she is always so impulsive, reckless, ready to pick up fights. Neil laughed thinking about her.

All this comes from constant struggles she faced in her heart day to day basis regarding every little thing of this world, challenging its perception and finding place for her own. In this very little time he has come to know her quite well. She was an open book. Whats in her heart is on her face. Initially he was so engrossed in his own feelings that he failed to read her mind. But now he knew her probably more than anyone else. It was easy as not many people including her own father knows her this much.