Part 9

Part 9

Neil and Mini returned Patiala. They returned in night, moved quietly towards their room without making any noise so that they don't disturb Shakuntala. They were about to enter in their room when suddenly the lights were turned on. "Bahut ache, jaise choro ki tarah dono ghar se gaye the waise hi choro ki tarah dabe pav wapas aa rahe ho." Shakuntala taunted when she caught them red handed. Shakuntala glared at them and then on their entwined hands. Neil and Mini, the partners in crime took deep breath and waited for their punishment. But to their surprise Shakuntala just shook her head dejectedly and went away from there.

"Thank God! Babes didn't scold us." Mini sighed. But Neil felt something was not right. His maa, didn't say even a word. He was mentally preparing himself to face her wrath during whole journey because he knew Shakuntala would blast them for their mistake. "I don't know Minnu, maa, never keeps anything in her heart....I think I should check upon her." Neil said and went in Shakuntala's room. "Maa, are you not angry with us?" Neil asked after struggling for right words. "Who I am to get angry from you? And why should I even get angry with your wife?" Shakuntala questioned back.

"I know maa, what we did...it has upset you but...." Neil tried to give explanation. "That girl...I mean your wife, she is new here. She doesn't know rules and regulations, she doesn't know me...so I can understand that she doesn't care enough to obey me but you....you are my son. Phir bhi tum mere faisle ka sammaan nahi kar paye." Shakuntala replied directly looking into his eyes, challenging him to deny any of this.

"Its not true maa, you know I love you and respect you but I also love Minnu. I couldn't see her like that...crying day and night. Besides this, I didn't do anything wrong...." Neil explained but Shakuntala didn't let him complete, "Its not about right and wrong Neil. Its about the decision which I took but you don't care...... I have spent all my life with my head held up in pride but by disobeying me like this...you have crushed my pride into pieces.This time I am not angry at Mini because you are the main culprit. You despite being my son failed to honour my words. You have really hurt me. I'll never forgive you for this." Shakuntala announced her decision.

Neil couldn't say anything. He was feeling guilty now. His maa never been so angry with him. He didn't know that in order to make his Minnu happy he would end up hurting his maa so badly. He felt tears were stinging his eyes threatening to fall any time. He left quietly with his head hung down in disappointment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neil sat down on the couch with a thump. "What happened? Did she scold you so much?" Mini asked. "No, I wouldnt have mind if she would have done that but...she didn't say anything much...she...I have hurt her...maa...I...this is not done...she didn't even talk to me properly." Neil blinked rapidly,fighting back tears. Mini saw him. She felt bad. Though he was trying his best but she could see those un shed tears in his eyes. "Hey! Calm down. Please don't be sad. Everything will be alright...I promise." Mini whispered as she held his hands for assurance.

Slowly he gained his composure back. "I am sorry...you had to witness this....generally I am not like this...I.." Neil was now suddenly embarrassed of his own emotional state. "Its ok, you don't have to hide it. We all have weak moments. I can understand." Mini replied as she placed her hand on his shoulder. He felt relieved that instead of mocking him, his Minnu understood his emotions right now and before he could have think twice he pulled her into a tight hug again.